Yes they are stiff...just sold my Wilbers 640ts nightlines....gotta say they are a great shock but a little stiff for me. I now have purpose built ohlins and they do the job nicely.

Rob,
Good revival of a good old thread.
I have bought another set of 444.
These are the standards and I REALLY like them so far. To me, they are not a huge difference.
Just a little softer on the open road and still plenty firm with no bounce or wallow when fanging the twisties.
So far - so good. Me reckons that variable damping is working real well.

Me reckons that 1olbull fell for some marketing lingo! Variable dampening is a feature of all hydraulic shocks. It is why they were invented a very long time ago. Prior to oil, leather discs compressed between steel plates by a spring were used that were rotated, similar to how a clutch works. This friction was used to dampen the oscillation of a spring system. Very regressive and not repeatable. And absolutely horrible when wet.

Not to say the 444s are not decent shocks, just that even the cheapest Chinese knock-offs have "variable dampening."

Marketing people are a special breed who do nothing but dream up ways to use smoke and mirrors. Truth be ****ed.

The springs on the 444 can be removed. Compress the spring, clamp the rod in aluminum jaws, and screw the end/eye off the rod. Remove spring and compressor. Reverse procedure to install. Use thread locker when replacing rod end/eye.

Wilbur's 314lb/in rate spring is a rate that is appropriate for a race track only. Lean the bike at 30 degrees and hit a bump and you will find the rear wheel hopping over. Way too stiff for street use and scary stiff altogether for most streets. You have very little set in as well so CG moves more during braking than if more set in is available.

Soft is fast because it is smoother and helps maintain maximum traction.

While I’d agree that all spring tables and formula say they’re too hard, my experience says otherwise. They are firm, yes, but well controlled by the damping and definitely don’t do anything bad in corners, when pushed hard they’re very rewarding. It’s not like sitting on a rock, I have about 1 inch of sag when seated, I can’t recall the exact amount.

I would be open to trying out a set of 50nm springs, but, I’ve not had any luck finding them. As is, the bike sparks bumps far more smoothly than either of my cars, one with a sport suspension and one with a plush suspension.

I’m always open to improvements so will continue seeking the 50nm springs.

EDIT: Just ordered a pair of 50N/mm aka 285 lb/in springs this morning, hopefully they’re a nice middle of the road between sporty firm and plush, I’ll report back :p

Last edited:
Me reckons that 1olbull fell for some marketing lingo! Variable dampening is a feature of all hydraulic shocks. It is why they were invented a very long time ago. Prior to oil, leather discs compressed between steel plates by a spring were used that were rotated, similar to how a clutch works. This friction was used to dampen the oscillation of a spring system. Very regressive and not repeatable. And absolutely horrible when wet.

Not to say the 444s are not decent shocks, just that even the cheapest Chinese knock-offs have "variable dampening."

Marketing people are a special breed who do nothing but dream up ways to use smoke and mirrors. Truth be ****ed.

The springs on the 444 can be removed. Compress the spring, clamp the rod in aluminum jaws, and screw the end/eye off the rod. Remove spring and compressor. Reverse procedure to install. Use thread locker when replacing rod end/eye.

Wilbur's 314lb/in rate spring is a rate that is appropriate for a race track only. Lean the bike at 30 degrees and hit a bump and you will find the rear wheel hopping over. Way too stiff for street use and scary stiff altogether for most streets. You have very little set in as well so CG moves more during braking than if more set in is available.

Soft is fast because it is smoother and helps maintain maximum traction.

So Speedy, you are stating this posted claim from Progressive is BS?!?
"Our 444 Series Shocks feature a proprietary patented Frequency Sensing Technology (FST) that has the unique ability to dynamically adjust damping as you ride; what this means is whether you’re hitting the small or big bumps in the road, the shock distributes oil through ports accordingly to soak up the hit making for an ultimately comfortable ride. A top mount threaded preload adjuster allows for fine-tuning with a simple twist of the cap."

So Speedy, you are stating this posted claim from Progressive is BS?!?
"Our 444 Series Shocks feature a proprietary patented Frequency Sensing Technology (FST) that has the unique ability to dynamically adjust damping as you ride; what this means is whether you’re hitting the small or big bumps in the road, the shock distributes oil through ports accordingly to soak up the hit making for an ultimately comfortable ride. A top mount threaded preload adjuster allows for fine-tuning with a simple twist of the cap."
If it is similar to the Reflex Technology system used on Monroe shocks. Seems to work well enough and much smoother ride than my Koni Sports on another version of same car.

GT-GAS
Monroe GT-Gas with exclusive Reflex Technology delivers excellent vehicle stability and handling without compromising driver and passenger comfort.

Product features
  • Exclusive twin disc design
  • Teflon banded piston
  • Multi-lip piston rod seal
  • Superior hardchrome piston rod finish
  • Nitrogen gas pressurised
  • 3 year/60,000 kilometre warranty
Product benefits
  • Firmer and safer handling with no compromise on comfort
  • Low friction, long service life
  • Improved retention of fluid and gas
  • Increased seal durability
  • Optimum fade-free performance under all conditions
GT-Gas with exclusive Reflex Technology
The ride characteristics experienced with any suspension set up usually means an inescapable compromise between comfort and handling. In general, good handling requires firm damping from the shock absorber, while maintaining a comfortable ride requires a shock absorber with softer damping characteristics.

The design of Monroe GT-Gas with Reflex technology has a refined valving system which maintains excellent vehicle stability and handling whilst delivering a high level of comfort for all vehicle occupants. This has been achieved by the introduction of Twin Disc Technology a valving refinement that is present in both compression and rebound.

On compression at low piston speed, the revolutionary disc valve set design partially opens to provide limited oil flow. The result is a firm and stable manoeuvre when taking corners at low speed, or changing highway lanes.

With increased piston speed due to bumps, potholes, sharp cornering or emergency braking at high vehicle speed; an intermediate disc is activated. This provides an immediate increase in oil flow resulting in increased vehicle stability and safer road handling.

On rebound, the new twin disc design features a unique scalloped intermediate backing plate. This allows the valve disc to flex as the piston speed increases, metering the oil flow as demanded by the driving conditions.

The outcome is a cushioning of harsh road conditions with superior safety and control.

Read this Steve, it will all be plain as day! ;):p:eek::D:roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:

reflex-black.jpg

Makes little sense to me and we don't know if it's similar to what Progressive does.
They work OK for me. if I ever feel that I'm out riding them, I will likely go with something like the Wilbur.

Back