Stillserving

LET'S GO BRANDON
Ride
86' Magna, 2017 R3R
From another thread:

Today the YSS rear shock has arrived

IMG-20200505-140655.jpg

IMG-20200505-140902.jpg

Anybody got the best place/price for these lately? Best I've still been able to find is still from WRS in italy. (originally linked by an old post by @Journeyman28778 . The price has gone down a little since then (not too much). Looks like @ $365 shipped to the US before any possible "make offer" reduction.

I keep putting off doing anything with the suspension just because It's not something I've really gotten into with all the setup involved to get the most out of any upgrade(s). I do know that when I put Progressive springs in the forks of the old Honda Magna it made it ride like a completely different animal though.

I'm a big guy at 6' and around 275 lbs. so I definitely need some suspension upgrade(s) over stock. I generally ride 1 up 98% of the time, but I do have some tsukaya hard bags that I keep some small stuff in on a regular basis. thinking about these for the rear and Progressive springs for the front eventually. Any help on proper setting up of the shocks would be much appreciated as I know we have some suspension guys on here...

I have YSS rears over 10 years now.
I am a lot heavier than you (it's a secret) and I had the rebound damping set too soft.
On large undulations at speed the bike would bounce. I adjusted from maybe 20% toward full hard to 50%
and it made all the difference. So if you notice bouncing, it's the rebound adjustment.

I have YSS rears over 10 years now.
I am a lot heavier than you (it's a secret) and I had the rebound damping set too soft.
On large undulations at speed the bike would bounce. I adjusted from maybe 20% toward full hard to 50%
and it made all the difference. So if you notice bouncing, it's the rebound adjustment.

So what is your current setup regarding dampening/rebound, etc?

For the model YSS I have, 10 years old, no reservior, there is no compression adjustment, just rebound.
I have rebound set at however many clicks on the adjuster to get it to 50% of the clicks toward full hard.
I left the spring pre-load alone, about an inch or so compressed.
I had mine originally 1 full inch longer than stock, and it made turn in twitchy at higher speed.
After a few years I sent them back to the guy I bought them from, the US importer, Klause Hoenecke: Y.S.S. USA Racing Suspension
and he shortened them by 1/2 inch. I left spring preload the same, compressed about an inch.
the shortening fixed the twitch but slowed turn in noticeably.

I've been runing set of YSS for quite some time now. Once I got them dialed in for my weight they are excelent
Especially if you've done any front suspension work along with them. I like em so much I don't really have to worry about improving them. I plan on taking a front fork set with me to virginia to work over using MUPO inards just to see how they compare to the Ducati internals.
Screenshot_20200129-090012_Chrome.jpg

Progressives in the front and YSS rear. Once dialled in … nothing scientific, just stopping beside the road every now and then, I have found them great. Cant help with a retailer for the US. Aussies should contact RaceTech in Melbourne ….. one man operation who knows his suspension;)

Progressives in the front and YSS rear. Once dialled in … nothing scientific, just stopping beside the road every now and then, I have found them great. Cant help with a retailer for the US. Aussies should contact RaceTech in Melbourne ….. one man operation who knows his suspension;)
Mine are pretty simple now that I got the high speed dampening set right its just a matter of setting the front rebound compression to match what I'm doing. Basically on interstate or high speed riding I pull the Twrench out of the bag and put 2 turns into the compresdion and set the damper at 5. Man she is smooth as silk above 170. In the mountains I take 2 tirns out and drop the dampening down to 3 and you'll hear the feeler sing in the curves. Got to get some titanium feeler on order. :)
Screenshot_20200220-140543_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200425-140749_Gallery.jpg

I know just springs in on the front a a good set of adjustable shocks on the back make a world of difference. Adding adjustability to the front plus the springs is like night and day. I can't wait to try the MUPO just to compare the two different setups!!!! :D

I know just springs in on the front a a good set of adjustable shocks on the back make a world of difference. Adding adjustability to the front plus the springs is like night and day. I can't wait to try the MUPO just to compare the two different setups!!!! :D

Any recommendations for a similar adjustable setup for a touring?

Just my 2 cents worth . . .
You guys need to read up on proper sag adjustment.
Why I run Progressive 444 is because of the auto damping feature and preload adjustment by hand.
No tools are necessary and tis easily done on the fly whenever needed.

Back