Progressive Suspension 444 shocks and fork springs

Walking Tall

.060 Over
Ride
2018 Phantom Black R3R
Has anyone on here swapped the stock shocks and fork springs for the Progressive Suspension units? Thoughts?

progressive springs in the front, progressive 444 -13in in the rear, definite improvement over stock, it is not the best you can get by any means, but was worthwhile
Glad to hear. I've got 12.5in 444's with the h.d. springs coming tomorrow. Did you also notice an improvement with the Progressive springs in front?

I just recently installed 444's in the rear and have the front springs sitting on the shelf as I haven't had time to install them yet. I got the HD shocks, but have been told that the STD rate springs are the way to go. Steve, @1olbull, was my go to guy for asking questions on those shocks. Just ask him. :whitstling:

I had both installed for the last 30,000 miles. Worth every penny. Not the best on the market but very practical for everyday riding. Yes the HD is a bit much unless your a real big boy stay with the standard. Rode about 5,000 miles with just the 444"s and then installed the springs with 7 weight oil. The two complement each other very well. Steve recommended the set up to me and that was some time ago never regretted it. 12.5 is standard length.

Last edited:
Glad to hear. I've got 12.5in 444's with the h.d. springs coming tomorrow. Did you also notice an improvement with the Progressive springs in front?

You might be over-sprung with the HD. Try minimum setting at first. I have a set of 444 STD springs set @ almost zero preload. Big difference. You stay on the bike when the rear hits a good bump. Also installed #7 oil with progressives on the front when the seals started to leak. Much better... both worth the $$$. I'm 190lbs and ride a 2007 Classic.

I had both installed for the last 30,000 miles. Worth every penny. Not the best on the market but very practical for everyday riding. Yes the HD is a bit much unless your a real big boy stay with the standard. Rode about 5,000 miles with just the 444"s and then installed the springs with 7 weight oil. The two complement each other very well. Steve recommended the set up to me and that was some time ago never regretted it. 12.5 is standard length.
7 wt oil, interesting. I decided on the h.d. springs on the shocks since I'm 6'6" and about 270 without gear. I hope I made the right choice.

Has anyone on here swapped the stock shocks and fork springs for the Progressive Suspension units? Thoughts?

2016 R3R with Progressive springs in the front using 7w Belray oil. Progressive 444 -12.5in stock length in the rear. I first went with the HD springs in the rear. Mistake. They are oversprung. I'm 210lbs and I had the preload backed all the way off and couldn't get the right amount of sag dialed in. Even 2 up with the wife, she's another 115lbs, they were still stiff, which is crazy to me. Called progressive and for $63 they sent me the standard rate springs. Just received them last week, but haven't swapped them out.

The front definitely benefits from the progressives since the stock springs are way too soft. The progressives stop all the nose diving under heavy breaking. The rear is a great improvement also. Even with the oversprung springs, the 444s eliminate the knock you out of the seat feeling when you hit a decent sized bump with the stock shocks. I also found it very difficult to get a straight answer on the oil level/ air gap with the progressive fork springs. Seems opinions varied all over the place. Wilbers recommends 110mm on their website. I compared the length of the wilbers progressives with the progressive suspension springs and they were close, only a few millimeters off. I couldn't get an answer from progressive suspension, so I went with wilbers guidance and it is fine.

Last edited:
Back