Progressive Suspension 444 shocks and fork springs

Sonny; While you are at it; Could you please describe how to change the springs on my 444s. Can you tell if they are Standard or HD without the box?
They should have the spring rates marked on them. Progressive use Black laser dot printed on chrome spring coil near one end usually. Older shock springs on Konis and S&W etc used to be paint dot color coded or even stamped.
The rates are lb per inch travel and two figures from memory as the springs being progressive have two different rates for each end of the spring. This is visible with the different coil separation. The more tightly wound coils are the heavier rate and the more open coils are the lower rate that softens initial compliance.

I sent mine to Progressive and had them replace the springs. As mentioned if done within thirty days of purchase progressive will not charge you anything. I paid a small fee plus shipping and handling. Have no clue how to tell the difference. When i got mine back I could not tell the difference by looking at them. Did feel the difference after installing them.

Found the box! It says 444 CRZR 12.5. ill call and see if they are Standard HD by the stock #s and Bar codes. Now? Is it better to have a HD at minimum setting or a Standard with 5 or 6 rinds of preload? I have not done a sag measure to see if I am set correctly. Have played it by rear both tire pressure and shock setting.
Does 444 4209 mean anything? That's all I could find.

Lake Charles and Cameron are getting a beating. There will be a lot of suffering and loss going on there. Not sleeping tonite.

Last edited:
I think we already steered @1K9 or someone to those before. Did you try it out already 1k9?

Actually I think it was @Idaho Red Rocket 3 ...how did it work out? ;) 🤔

I guess one has to compress the spring and remove on the of the retaining flat screw plates that compress the spring to slide it off. I'll see what you guys say and Progressive say before changing anything. Perhaps set them at Zero preload and try on turn at a time. They are that sensitive. Right now if she is on the stand and I lean on the seat she compresses about the same front and back.

Black or Chrome have different codes but these codes are for the 12.5" HD sprung versions.
Progressive Suspension

MSRP: $679.95
444-4233C
444 (CHR) CRZR 12.5"

444-4233B
444 (BLK) CRZR 12.5"

Black or Chrome have different codes but these codes are for the 12.5" HD sprung versions.
Progressive Suspension

444-4233C
444 (CHR) CRZR 12.5"

444-4233B
444 (BLK) CRZR 12.5"

I bought mine after conversing with Tech @ Progressive. Mines are 444-4209C CHR CRZR 12.5.

I bought mine after conversing with Tech @ Progressive. Mines are 444-4209C CHR CRZR 12.5.
Those are Standard spring spec. 125 lb per linear inch / 170 lb per linear inch.
Edited
Heavy Duty is 210 lb per linear inch / 250 lb per linear inch but many other rates are available as used on other models/weights of bikes. e.g.
The Heavy Duty (or Standard Duty) springs will give a softer more pleasant ride in 13" rather than stock 12.5" as the spring rate are calculated using Progressive's stock two (actually three but never heard anyone using the Super Heavy Duty ones) spring options for R3's and they use the same springs in the 11.5", 12", 12.5", and 13" Progressive shock series versions 412, 430, 440 and now 444. The coils are just bound tighter on shorter length shock bodies. I.e more pre-load adjustment has already been taken out.

More spring travel at same rate spring gives a softer supple ride. That is why shorter 11" or 11.5" inch shocks tend to provide such a crap ride regardless of shock quality used.

444 Series shocks are available in 3 configurations: Standard Weight, Heavy-duty (250+ lbs.) and Super Heavy Duty (Touring Models only - 350+ lbs.).

Heavy Duty is 210 lb per linear inch / 250 lb per linear inch

In regards to the very similar precursor to the 444s the 440's:
Here is the catalogue listing confirming Rocket 3 fitment

Here is some interesting info from a Valkyrie forum which also uses that R3 version (and same with 444s now too).
Progressive Shocks
Here is the deal on Progressive 440s:

For standard and tourer: Standard Rate is the 440-4213 (C for chrome/ B for black)
Heavy Duty is the 440-4221 (C or B)

For Interstate: there is only one shock recommended and it is the same shock called heavy duty for standard and tourer, 440-4221, BUT IT IS NOT IDENTIFIED AS A HEAVY DUTY SHOCK, IT IS CALLED STANDARD RATE FOR INTERSTATE, THERE IS NO HEAVY DUTY SHOCK MADE FOR INTERESTATE. This is just Progressive's semantics, but it has lead to a lot of confusion.

I had a long talk with a Progressive tech about the SuperValk with no trunk/back seat/sissy/or passenger ever, and SHE recommended that I use the 4213 at my 180-5lbs, which was my feeling as well (even though the SV still has the 7 gal tank and fairing). She explained that it takes 8 of 10 (available) turns on the 4213s to get the same suspension rate of a 4221 set to the cushiest setting.

Last edited:
Back