Progressive Suspension 444 shocks and fork springs

Am setting at 250 pound's and had HD"s. Yes they worked but had them at the soft end. The regular worked out better for me. On a strict diet so as time goes on the regulars will get better and better.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: Walking tall you will be fine.
I'm on a downward trend too... hoping to hit 200 by years' end, down 45 lbs since March. But I think the HDs are still going to work for me, I don't want the bike to feel like a boat.

I'm on a downward trend too... hoping to hit 200 by years' end, down 45 lbs since March. But I think the HDs are still going to work for me, I don't want the bike to feel like a boat.

I bought the 444's with HD springs and I feel they are over sprung for me. I'm 200lbs and the wife is 125lbs. With just me on the bike, its definitely too stiff in the rear. With the wife on, it's better but still on the stiff side. I did get the standard springs from progressive, just have to swap them out but it's been way too hot for motivation level. The problem I had with HD springs was that I could not get the right mount of sag with just me on the bike. I had the preload backed off all the way and I was getting just under a 1/2 inch of sag when it should be an inch.

I bought the 444's with HD springs and I feel they are over sprung for me. I'm 200lbs and the wife is 125lbs. With just me on the bike, its definitely too stiff in the rear. With the wife on, it's better but still on the stiff side. I did get the standard springs from progressive, just have to swap them out but it's been way too hot for motivation level. The problem I had with HD springs was that I could not get the right mount of sag with just me on the bike. I had the preload backed off all the way and I was getting just under a 1/2 inch of sag when it should be an inch.
It was my understanding that the desired sag measurement is 1/2".

The instructions from progressive say 1 inch. Either way, I shouldn't be under 1/2 inch with zero preload.
Got it. I must admit, I haven't done anything with the shocks and fork springs yet, not even reading the instructions. The hot weather here just saps my old man energy and I tend to just stay inside in the a/c.

Did my '11 Thunderbird 1600 last year and that was smooth sailing. Totally different ride now.
Thinking maybe the Rocket could use a bit more preload / longer spacer. Still nose dives a little, when braking, but not anything as bad as it used to.
Tin Can Navy is a term i have not heard in awhile. Frigates?

Sonny; While you are at it; Could you please describe how to change the springs on my 444s. Can you tell if they are Standard or HD without the box?

I sent mine to Progressive and had them replace the springs. As mentioned if done within thirty days of purchase progressive will not charge you anything. I paid a small fee plus shipping and handling. Have no clue how to tell the difference. When i got mine back I could not tell the difference by looking at them. Did feel the difference after installing them.

Back