New Rocket III Touring tune question

Iceman

Standard Bore
I read a post in one of the forums that "New" Rockets arrive at the dealer without a tune installed. This occurs when the bike is uncrated & assembled. Is there any reason why a Rocket III Touring (basically de-tuned) could not be "tuned" to the same specs as a standard or classic Rocket?

Iceman :rolleyes:

I read a post in one of the forums that "New" Rockets arrive at the dealer without a tune installed. This occurs when the bike is uncrated & assembled. Is there any reason why a Rocket III Touring (basically de-tuned) could not be "tuned" to the same specs as a standard or classic Rocket?

Iceman :rolleyes:

I'd imagine it's all up to dealer scruples. My Classic never had the 120 mph Classic tune in it.

I'm also thinking the new Cupcake touring model probably has the EU tune specified.

08 Tourer

I sure hope you guys are right. I mean if a simple tune would add what, a 33hp boost and a drop of 12ft/lb's of torque??? I may not be a motor head but something smells. You know the guys who get one are gonna want to get the thing back to Rocket specs somehow but I have serious doubts a simple tune is gonna do it.:confused:

Oops, I just re-read the post and saw that it was referring to the "new" touring and not the tourer. I would speculate that the ECU would be the same and that the power limiting is done through mapping just like the french and German power limiting tunes. There isn't a Triumph ECU that Wayne hasn't cracked yet, so if they use the same software and ECU you should be able cross-load tunes.

Oops, I just re-read the post and saw that it was referring to the "new" touring and not the tourer. I would speculate that the ECU would be the same and that the power limiting is done through mapping just like the french and German power limiting tunes. There isn't a Triumph ECU that Wayne hasn't cracked yet, so if they use the same software and ECU you should be able cross-load tunes.

Boy Pigger, you should have caught that off my post. I said 'cupcake tourer'.....:D

Quite agreed! Unless there's an engine of lesser CC and lesser ECU why not? Wayne is the man!

The new touring model has different mufflers from all of the other models so it isn't clear that there are any stock Triumph tunes that would be compatible with this model. Of course, Wayne could make a custom tune for it but then you'd have to buy Tuneboy to use it.

I drive very conservatively all the time. I always drive 5 mph less than the posted limit, sometimes 10 mph less. I just leave a little sooner. The trip to Nashville netted an average 40.55 mpg for the whole trip. I'm sure I did better than that on the Blue Ridge Parkway at 45 and less on I-75 but that was for the whole trip, keeping receipts for all the gas and using the trip meter to record the mileage. The 2 folks I rode down with did appreciably better than that. They were both in the low 50's with their Evo Dressers.

That could also be why at almost 6K, the rear tire shows very little wear even being a paper thin Metz. I'm figuring that with an Eagle, I'll cack out before the tire wears out.

Maybe the new 'cupcake tourer' will appeal to the sedate crowd, ya think?

Sounds like a cupcake would suit you just fine Flipper.

Back