New Rocket III Touring tune question

Sounds like a cupcake would suit you just fine Flipper.

Pigger:

Thinking about it, it might. I just can't warm up to the single headlamp and the tank mounted gages. Very infrequently I do like to twist the throttle completely open. Do you think the new Tourer would give me any adrenaline rush at all when I opened it up or would it be like opening a can of cat food?

It pays to read on, from one google search to another. While one "expert" spouts the virtues of the Touring model they've not done their homework when using the Tourer specs. That's like mixing a Yellow Delicious with a Johnathan: http://www.autoblog.com/2007/10/26/triumph-launches-the-new-2008-rocket-iii-touring/ They should stick to the "auto" industry.

At the same, Motorcycle Daily, (clearly more devoted to motorcycling) must take a few minutes additional to dig into the details: http://www.motorcycledaily.com/08november07_2008_triumph_rocket3.htm : "...The 2008 Triumph Rocket III Touring is based on the Rocket III launched in 2004. Only the engine, brakes, rear light and the mirrors are the same as on the original power cruiser. And the engine has been detuned for even more low-end torque!
The R3 Touring gets an extra dollop of torque at even earlier revs than before. That translates to 154 ft/lbs @ 2,025rpm. To enable this, Triumph have sacrificed a lot of horsepower as the Touring is down from 141bhp to 107bhp @ 5.400rpm..."

So there you have it. Another client for Tuneboy to straighten out. And I'd like to get me some of that 154 ft/lbs @ 2025 without sacrificing the 141bhp. BTW, the latter specs would be correct according to my local dealership's reading. I probably already achieve the 154 torque but at a tad bit higher rpm (+400). For me, 2050rpm is mighty mighty close to 5th gear cruising at 55mph on a Tourer . And with a different frame, according to them thar folks (holding onto every word they say), I wouldn't be swapping for tank centered gages.

New Touring Seats

Does anyone know yet whether the new triumph accessorie seats for the New Touring model will clip on to the standard rocket as well. If they are interchangeable I will definitely get the solo version with back rest.

I read both drive reports and I still think it's a 'cupcake bike'. I'm thinking the skinny rear tire's life is gonna be less than the abbreviated 880. Torque, not horsepower is what twists the rear wheel and 'erases' the the rubba. The 'cupcake' has more torque, hence more twist, hence more erasure of the rear rubba. Siince the bike is admittedly a 'cupcake' (that's been quietly echoed by all the rag testers), cupcake owners are gonna be twisting the right grip harder than we are to express their imagined dominance in motorcycledom. That all eaquates to even less tire life.

I'm waiting patiently for some new fodder to log on as a new poster on the site that has purchased the 'cupcake' so that we may pick his brain and we can get some real world opinions instead of the slanted opinions that all rag testers exhibit......

Only thing the **** rags are good for is 'reading room' material.

Forget the adredalin, Flip. The whole concept, if there was one in the first place, was meant to be adrenalin-free. The usually conservative Swiss press, Moto-Sport Schweiz/Moto-Sport Suisse vehemently laments the disappearance of 32-some HP. So do we, obviously.

Its verdict, following the international, slow-motion trade press event staged in Texas: "A Road King look-alike with a marine diesel engine".:D

Forget the adredalin, Flip. The whole concept, if there was one in the first place, was meant to be adrenalin-free. The usually conservative Swiss press, Moto-Sport Schweiz/Moto-Sport Suisse vehemently laments the disappearance of 32-some HP. So do we, obviously.

Its verdict, following the international, slow-motion trade press event staged in Texas: "A Road King look-alike with a marine diesel engine".:D

I guess it could be a diesel. Like my old, long gone '49 Farmall. You got it up to temperature on gasoline and switched to the kerosene tank. As hot as the Rock runs, I'd imagine that Kerosene isn't out of the question. I put diesel in my riding lawnmower last summer by mistake. It ran but poorly. The new tourer probably runs poorly as it is.........

I (like Iceman) am comptemplating the new Tourer model and the horsepower issue is what is holding me back. Coming from a Boss Hoss 502 I like the look of the new Tourer but I just cant get past the horsepower issue between the standard Rocket and this one. If Tuneboy cant restore the performance I guess I will buy the standard, add the beetle bags (dont like the look of the classic bags), windshield, etc., which no doubt will end up to be more expensive...todd

"price of the cupcake"

The prices are already on the official Triumph website, FB. $16,999. for the solid color and $17,299 for the two tone. A friend at work told me you might as well just buy a Harley. I laughed and said...yeah if I want to be like 4 out of 5 mcs on the road...not.:eek:

Back