HOW TO INSTALL ELECTRONIC CRUISE CONTROL ON YOUR ROCKET!

These are good questions... you grip the handlebars just as before ,except the hand grip will move in a very subtle way in your hand.think of it this way,when you are out on the road at highway speeds going a constant 70mph even up and down hill the throttle movements are very small to maintain that speed.you can override the cruise if you need to pass someone by simple twisting the throttle,When you remove that jumper lead that tells the servo you have a manual transmision. The servo then detects any sudden rise in rpms should you pull the clutch in and shuts the cruise down with just a breif rise in rpms.This cruise works exactly like the electrinic cruise controls on bikes like the honda goldwing.In fact i had a goldwing and this cruise maintains a constant speed better than the wings.Hope this helps.Also the unit is tied into the brakelight switch for a kickout feature.

I hope this information will help you.You can see better pictures of the cable routing if you go to the "HOW TO GOLD MINE FORUM" on this site.Just scroll down until you see "YOU CAN LOOK BUT NO LAUGHING PART 2" there you will see pictures that show the cable.You have the correct mounting point for the cable. There should be a hole in that pin where the circlip is use the pin in the kit and insert into that hole, put a dab of silicone glue on it to keep it from coming out.As to the vaccume lines.Under the gas tank about in the middle you will see a line coming up from the right side of the bike to about the center of the top of the motor tee in there.Also since i created this post i have seen the need for more vaccume.At the base of the intake manifold on the rear cylinder very close to where it meets the head is a vaccume plug remove the plug and also pull in additional vaccume from there.Be sure to tee in before the check valve.The other thing that i didnt mention in the post was when you are setting the dip switches there is a black jumper post that needs to be removed this tells the servo that you have a manual transmission.(the instructions in the box show you)when you mount your control to the handlebars pop off the plastic cover and seal the unit with silicone to keep water out.Once you complete this you will love it i took a 6000 mile trip to california this summer and it was so nice to just set the cruise and go! Hope this helps.

It does sound like your on the right track.You are correct you dont need the sensor or the vss input.it also sounds like you have the correct coil terminal to attach to as well.As to your other questions i have to go by memory as i took my bike to the dealer yesterday to have the famous outputshaft bearing installed and he is 80 miles away.But it sounds like you have it correct.As to the bracket since its not here i cant take a picture to send you but its a very simple bracket i cut out of aluminum, it mirrors the shape of the control panel with just enough of a tab on the bottom to drill a hole through and run the top screw of the turn signal switch through it.If when testing you find that after its engaged for a while that it doesnt hold speed well up hills it means you dont have enough vaccum to the unit.Just tie into a additional source or increase your storage container size.Let me know how it works!

I glad things worked well for you! as to the slow response this is not normal mine sets instantly with no hesitation.You still may need that 2nd vaccume source with just one it takes a long time to build up vaccume with the two containers.It would be worth trying to solve the problem.Tell me how nice is it to cruise without having to grip the throttle? nice huh?

UPDATE ON THE CRUISE INSTALL

Since I started the original thread on this I am on my second year of using the cruise control it has been a good addition.However i have found a way to make it better.I bought off of E-BAY a vacuume pump off of a late model Volkswagon Jetta for $15.00 I did away with the vacuume containers and just went with the pump.The results have been outstanding! The speed stays spot on up and down hills never changing more the 2 MPH. For those who responded to the original thread I started on this I highly recomend this refinement......

I beleive your problem is a lack of consistent vaccum.Install the pump disconect the storage tanks and I think you will be surprised at the difference.The reason your getting the delay in responsed is the servo has to wait for the motor to replenish the vaccum a 3 cyclinder engine just doesnt produce enough to keep up.Hope this helps!

Sorry i forgot to respond to the Ebay Item.That pump looks very simalar to mine.One nozzle is for vaccum the other is for exhaust.The only thing you will have to figure out is how to wire it.The one your looking at has 3 wires like mine.If you wire it up backwards it will blow but not suck. Let me know if I can be of more help!

Back