HOW TO INSTALL ELECTRONIC CRUISE CONTROL ON YOUR ROCKET!

honker

.040 Over
ok heres how to put electronic cruise on your rocket. you want to start with an audivox ccs100 electronic cruise control. which can be purchased on the internet for $100 or less.

507374_200_full.jpg

the next picture shows the compact servo unit. and the first step is to program the 7 dip switches for use on the rocket. switches 1-6 should be turned to off. and switch 7 to on. In the instructions it will also show a jumper lead that needs to be removed to tell the servo that the vehicle has a manual transmission be sure to remove this jumper lead

507374_201_full.jpg

the next step is to mount the servo. it will mount underneath the left side cover as shown in the picture. can be mounted to one of the screws that holds the relays.

507374_197_full.jpg

the next step is to connect the servo cable to the throttle linkage. i only found one workable way to do this. if you look underneath the front left side of the fuel tank underneath the bear claw you will see the spindle where the throttle cables hook, at the bottom of that spindle is a small clip with a washer remove that clip this is where the cable assembly will attatch with included clips. a mount will have to be fabricated coming off the front lower motor mount to secure the cable. see the next 2 pictures. in the first picture you will see the chain assembly that connects to the servo cable and how it attatches to the throttle spindle, in the second picture you will see the bracket from the motor mount to the cable. this also doubles as a mount for my aux horn.

507374_198_full.jpg

507374_199_full.jpg

the next thing to do is to construct a simple vacuum storage container i made mine out of 2 inch pvc pipe with caps on both ends. you will need to install two nipples to attatch vacuum lines, one line will go underneath the raised fuel tank and T in to the existing vacuum lines that you will see there. it will be necessary to install a vacuum check valve in this line between the T and the storage canaster, that can be purchased for a couple of dollars at any NAPA store. this keeps the vacuum from bleeding out of the tank after the motor is shut off.
just one note though my picture only shows one container i have since added a second one that makes for smoother operation it will be up to you to decide where to mount the second one, as i mounted mine in my side car.
507374_196_full.jpg

next will be the mounting of the control unit itself. a small bracket will need to be made to attatch to the left hand switch assembly *see picture*

507374_195_full.jpg

i will not go into the wireing as the directions with the unit are pretty straight forward. with the exception of where to tap in to get the tach pulse for the servo. with the gas tank in the raised position look at the very front right ignition coil, the wire that is to the out side is the one that you will tap into for this pulse, once you have followed the instrustions for the rest of the wireing diagram you should be ready to ride! if you have any questions i will be happy to help.

YES AS A MATTER OF FACT IT IS DONE NOW! I WILL BE POSTING MORE PICTURES SOON THANKS FOR THE INTEREST! :D

Tom, I would just go to E-Bay thats where i bought mine there all always several of them for sale, around $100.00.Also there was one step i neglected in the instructions.When you set the dip switches on the servo there is a jumper lead that must be removed, this tells the servo you have a manual transmission.The instructions in the kit show you how, it is just a matter of pulling a jumper lead out that looks like a fuse.(takes about 5 seconds to do)The cruise works great! I have not tried it as low as 30 mph but have set it at 40 or so works great.The only change i have made since i posted the pictures was i tapped in to a second vaccumn line off the intake manifold to increase the volume of vaccume.Its really not a big thing to install but beleive me you will wonder how you got along without it!

Back