canecorso

The custom seat man
Ride
2005 Triumph Rocket 3 Classic
****** Highest bidder as of Feb 28 10:12pm EST is $175 USD by Dealer **********

What: Up for AUCTION is a custom Triumph Rocket seat. With 1/2" medical polymer (not gel).
When: Auction ends February 28, 2018, midnight EST
How: Highest bidder wins - No minimum. Winner pays shipping cost (based on your location, and the seat and bracket total weight is about 21 lb, plus a few more pounds for box and packaging)
Why: This forum and the people have been good to me. This is my way of giving back with a quality seat at an attractive price.

Model this seat will fit - see attached pictures for model number.

This seat is upholstered in 3 sections:
1. The rider seat
2. The lower lumber support for the rider - mold and support rider's lower back
3. The passenger seat
The cool thing about doing this way is that each section is separate for ease of repair and re-upholster later. The seat is customized with a wide butt area. Notice that the rider seat, as well as the back seat both have no seams.

I think this seat is for the models that have a narrow fender with a smaller tire, with a screw holes in back fender for the back bracket.

I did manage to make it go on my '05 Rocket by putting a half inch plastic washer behind the bracket so it pushes the bracket forward. Also measuring from middle of seat latch to the middle of the back nipple 8 3/8" and the seat and passenger seat will lock in. I also had to put two 1/4" waterproof foam underneath the back bracket to raise it up.

I stand corrected about the gel inserts. It is medical polymer I used in this seat. The difference is polymer does not heat up and much more comfortable than gel inserts. The polymer has been inserted in the rider's seat, the lower back support section, and the pillion seat. The covering material is black vinyl.

The air filter breather is re-inserted back on the bottom of the seat. You can always take off this filter if you have KN filters. I didn't put side screws on the plastic breather so there are no holes in vinyl.

There is a picture below showing what it looked like before the changes.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    100.6 KB · Views: 18
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    77.9 KB · Views: 20
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    69.4 KB · Views: 19
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    73.3 KB · Views: 15
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    85 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2763[1].JPG
    IMG_2763[1].JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2764[1].JPG
    IMG_2764[1].JPG
    88.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2766[1].JPG
    IMG_2766[1].JPG
    130.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2767[1].JPG
    IMG_2767[1].JPG
    140.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2778[1].JPG
    IMG_2778[1].JPG
    107 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Additional pictures to the custom seat up for auction, showing model numbers.

Attachments

• IMG_2777[1].JPG
    IMG_2777[1].JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2776[1].JPG
    IMG_2776[1].JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2775[1].JPG
    IMG_2775[1].JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 10
From an earlier thread:

'Dual seat, Longhaul Touring' for Std, Classic and Roadster models. NOTE: This is not the later 2008 on R3 Touring model version and came out for the Classic models. A number have commented on the difficulty to get the rear pillion spike to engage with the fitted bracket on Standards and Roadsters and used a similar 3mm rubber shim under the rear bracket bolt mount.

The Dual seat, Longhaul Touring' is available with or without the square post hole for the out of production and out of stock rider backrest that was always sold separately (A9708158).
As stated by CanberraR3 earlier:
"There are 2 numbers under the dual seat without backrest - A9701163 and A9701164. And on the one with backrest it's A9700186."

Another part number for the whole backrest version kit that includes the seat, rear mounting bracket and plug, but without the rider's backrest itself is A9708164.

The rear mounting bracket that is not essential is T2301985, it usually comes with the seat kits but is separate to the seat itself.

The plastic plug to fill the square post hole in the backrest seat version A9700186 was listed obscurely at now defunct Cal Moto Triumph but is not illustrated in the kit picture and most places do not list it as a separate part at all.

Trim, Socket
Part Number: T2305059 US$18.00

#T2305059: Triumph. Trim, Socket

Re your assumption "I think this seat is for the models that have a narrow fender with a smaller tire, with a screw holes in back fender for the back bracket."

No it is the Classic Dual Touring seat for Standards, Classics and Roadsters it will not fit the R3 Touring model which comes with the "narrow fender with a smaller tire".

Mine Is a 05 Classic and it would not fit until did all those adjustments I said above?
I thought it would fit better on a Triumph that has a narrow fender because of latch realease would be easier to get and wouldn’t need to do all that adjustments?

Others using this seat had a similar issue reaching the rear spigot cable release especially with panniers on and a simple fix is to simply add a zip tie loop to the existing cable pull ring.

If it end bothering me I would tie a leather peice on it.
Interesting so this seat never fit, you always had to do the modification that I did To make it fit?
I would think what ever models this seat was made for the the back bracket would screw against the fender with out any adjustments? And the bracket would sit directly on the fender ? With out raising it?
Because if I put the back bracket on the fender with out those adjustments the back pillon seat will not snap in,
Unless I do the adjustments then it snaps in, that's why I thought there must be earlyer models it fit better, just not sure what years.
but what do you think of this look for a seat for a Rocket ?

I have the dual seat with backrest on my 05 classic that someone before I bout it tried to attach the pillion stob plate with rivets. They didn’t hold and the pillion area has never “latched in” but it has made no difference even with wife on the back riding twisties aggressively. I think the rider weight (all 115 pounds of her)
Keeps the seat down on the attachment stob that it doesn’t matter. My 2cents.
Canecorso, how does that back rest compare to the original rest that sits up high in the lower back on the post it’s on?

This is a separate bracket that two bolts screws it in , then seat latches in and the pillion seat snap in.

Attachments

• EB32AF17-1B08-435D-9438-3E48675FC1C6.jpeg
    EB32AF17-1B08-435D-9438-3E48675FC1C6.jpeg
    256.6 KB · Views: 9
It all depends what look you like the best, I don’t think there is a seat out there that is done like this.
inmy inpion this seat looks way better and is comfortable.
It’s trike the Rocket you either love the Rocket or you don’t.

Back