Cam Cover Gasket (again)

...and the chrome covers are cheaper than the black one..... :confused:
No, depends whether you include or exclude VAT, but Black are the more expensive listed price on Fowlers UK.
Often the prices there and other USA parts listings will be the selling or listed price when last sold updated etc. , so any old, replaced or updated part number is likely to have a much lower than equivalent but later item's current prices. Similarly some items once deemed obsolete do not have prices listed at all.

Fowlers UK depending on the currency selected, show prices with or without EU effective UK 20% VAT.
Strangely Australian $ currency options retains the 20% VAT despite it not being applied to us either. It does though indicate what the price will be at a minimum here in Oz as the 20% is pretty close to freight and our 10% GST. Add 10% on top for Oz dealer extra profiit margin and you get a good estimate of dealer price here too.

1 Cam Cover, Chromed T1260387 Replaces T1260229
BACK ORDER NO STOCK
Au$288.22 inc. VAT (£158.50) -
US$165.18 excl. VAT (£132.08)

1 Cam Cover, Black T1260383
BACK ORDER NO STOCK
Au$302.34 inc. VAT (£166.26) -
US$173.27 excl. VAT (£138.55)

1 Cam Cover, Chromed T1260387
BACK ORDER NO STOCK
Au$288.22 inc. VAT (£158.50) -
US$165.18 excl. VAT(£132.08)

Last edited:
Here's a perfect example of fixing something ain't broke. Notice the ridge in the center of the (brand new) gasket, well that seats in the groove in the old style cover. While it certainly does work with the new style, there's every reason to believe this lip on the gasket contributes to the migrating gaskets that seem to be a Roadster exclusive.

Weights are:
New - 1962g
Old - 1944g

Will be the only chrome piece on Mufasa lol. For those who know rockets, it'll be a "huh"? mod at a glance.
20190916_072337.jpg

Here's a perfect example of fixing something ain't broke. Notice the ridge in the center of the (brand new) gasket, well that seats in the groove in the old style cover. While it certainly does work with the new style, there's every reason to believe this lip on the gasket contributes to the migrating gaskets that seem to be a Roadster exclusive.
Will be interesting to see if my 2009 cover is groovy!.

Surprisingly the early grooved cover looks like a cast surface where the later ones appear to be machined. Seems like machining would be more expensive if it was a cost saving thing.

I'm guessing different manufacturer when it was outsourced to //insert cheap production location here//, the whole part is changed, gussets on the inside are moved around and reshaped.

In this instance, I'm happy mine is the older model, but updates and up grades to the "08" and up is not a good tradeoff in my opinion especially if you're funding upgrades.

Out of curiosity I threw it on as a "mock up" to see how much the chrome would make me cringe. I actually like it as a tucked away, kind of non-standard topper sitting there.
20190916_152440.jpg

Back