head gasket change...tips/tricks?

Stillserving

LET'S GO BRANDON
Ride
86' Magna, 2017 R3R
Looks like I'm going to have to change the head gasket on my '17 Roadster for an oil leak. Haven't looked too far into the job, but I know several of you have had the head off. Got any good tips/tricks, things I should be prepared for? Also any special tools I'm going to need? Trying to start gathering parts and supplies so I can knock this out in the next couple of weeks and figured any advice I can get from those that have done it would be nice.

Off the top of my head, I'm thinking in a nut shell:
pull motor
pull cam cover, pull front access for cam chain access
disconnect cams
pull head, replace gasket, reverse.
missing anything other the finer details?

Thanks

You can change the head, well and pistons, with the motor in the frame. Also good time to do some cam work. You need to talk to the god in the tin shed down under :)

Most important thing no matter which way you do it is to remember to remove the oil pressure sending unit before you forget and have to order another one. .
Like I had to ;)

That's right, head bolts not studs, was thinking had to lift the head past studs. Was still in the bummed stage and wasn't thinking.

Got a manual just hadn't really read into it when I posted. Was definately thinking cams, maybe even pistons.

When looking at the cut away shots Power Tripp posted some years back, there's one very obvious spot in the bowl that can be ported to improve flow, look at the short side radius and you'll see what I mean.

Looks like you've gotten all the tips required and parts listed above. Good luck.

PS:. Where is your oil leak on the gasket? Curious is all.

Since I hadn’t heard of an oil leak from the head gasket, I’m looking at my manual, and a photo I took. The oil leak isn’t exactly where I’d expect it, if there was a flaw in the gasket. (The slots are for coolant.)
BBC4899D-1FB8-42F4-BE97-69FD10E115B8.png

If you look at the pic, the hole on centerline at the back is where the pressure side oil feed is, from the #4 main bearing (I believe)! I’d def look for a flaw in the gasket , or a not straight head or block. What I’m getting at is find the cause of the leak before you put it back together. Not that you wouldn’t.....I’m attempting to be helpful!

Back