Cam Cover Gasket (again)

Out of curiosity I threw it on as a "mock up" to see how much the chrome would make me cringe. I actually like it as a tucked away, kind of non-standard topper sitting there.
20190916_152440.jpg
3M makes a weather stripping glue, used to be only yellow, and now have it in black. Could put few spots on cover and align gasket, allow to dry, few min. and install. Only problem with it after you open never seem to be able to seal tube with out it being set up next time you go to use it.

Just what I know about the cam cover.First if you dont use any sealer apart from around the D Section lined up with the cams ,the cover will seal and be reusable several times until it perishes using the early type cam cover. Second if you turn the new type cover over and compare it to the older style you will see they are different in the way they hold the seal in place..I prefer to exchange the new type cover with the old type and have never had a problem with the gasket pushing out again.I work on many different Rockets and find this to be a sound method.
Should I replace the seals around the bolts as well?

Not necessary. After doing it twice yesterday, for the first time in a year, I'll say, it's much easier than made out to be.

Just RTV the rounds lightly, set it in place, ensuring it's positioned right (easy to feel) and put the top on, torque to 10-12nm.

The triumph techs screwing this up have no business working on anything, including their own privates.

I really have to disagree. The seals assist in holding the bolts in place and maintaining torque. To each his own but i do not like leaks. It is one thing to replace the gasket and have no leaks . It is another thing to replace gasket and have no leaks 10,000 miles later. Have had a lot of success with this after checking valve clearance the first time and the second time doing the same but with cam replacements included. Today setting well over 10,000 miles with no leaks or problems. This includes riding hard even when the temp is well over 100 degrees outside. Just my two cents worth.

Yeah, I totally get the being particular thing, more than you can possibly imagine.

The ones that leak on the exhaust side right behind #1 are from incompetent triumph mechanics doing it wrong.

Not necessary. After doing it twice yesterday, for the first time in a year, I'll say, it's much easier than made out to be.

Just RTV the rounds lightly, set it in place, ensuring it's positioned right (easy to feel) and put the top on, torque to 10-12nm.

The triumph techs screwing this up have no business working on anything, including their own privates.
Maybe if they worked on their privates there would be less chance of them reproducing??

Back