Brake pads...again ?

Rear pads already??? I have over 55,000 kilometers on mine and I'm still on the factory original pads (front and rear). I pull them off every year and clean, then measure (only takes a few minutes). Since the friction material is bonded and not riveted there is a lot of extra life available. New OEM ones are waiting, ready to be installed, but I won't do it until it's needed. Who said the pads need to be changed - dealer? Have you measured them? I'd be curious to see how much friction material is still on the pad backing plates.

One thought and maybe this is the reason for premature brake failure, is the caliper seized on the pins causing one pad to wear more than the other?

Wow, 55,000 Kilo / 34,000 miles and you are still on factory pads? That must be some kind of small miracle. I just turned 10K miles on my Roadster and had to replace pads already, but I frequently trail brake on the front and use the rear religiously a low speeds, so maybe I'm heavier on the brakes than most. We know these beasties are heavy, so brake and tire wear should come as no surprise to anyone as the most frequent wear items.

Wow, 55,000 Kilo / 34,000 miles and you are still on factory pads? That must be some kind of small miracle. I just turned 10K miles on my Roadster and had to replace pads already, but I frequently trail brake on the front and use the rear religiously a low speeds, so maybe I'm heavier on the brakes than most. We know these beasties are heavy, so brake and tire wear should come as no surprise to anyone as the most frequent wear items.
Kojak: I use the rear brake to reduce gear lash coming out of turns. Go into turns with the rear brake and light throttle on.

Back