2015 Roadster Mid Control change and brake bleeding

OverKill

Standard Bore
Ride
2015 Rocket 3 Roadster
First-time poster here... been lurking for months since I bought my 2015 Rocket Roadster.

I Bought used mid controls and rear brake hose to replace my stock controls as I would like to have my legs out a tad further. Im a taller gent 6'3" 300# and I think the extended reach would help with the butt pain I am experiencing.

My question is.... Am I able to bleed the rear brakes myself without special tools or computers or anything? I am new to working on motorcycles but fully versed in car maintenance.... is the bleeding of these motorcycle brakes essentially the same as bleeding car brakes?
Rocket 4.jpg

Congrats on the Rocket!!! I have never bled the brakes in a car but I have a few times on my Touring. The best thing I did was get me some Speed Bleeders. They replace the nipples on the calipers with one way valves. No need to loosen and tighten every time you pull the brakes in. You only need to worry about keeping the reservoir from going empty.
Rockets need three of them. I posted on here about that some time ago, so may be more info in that post. I just bought me a Suzuki M50 and first thing I did was get a speed bleeder and replace the fluid.
Have fun!

If it's not ABS equipped bleeding the brakes is not difficult, similar to automotive. Make sure you cover all painted surfaces with plastic before you pop the top on the fluid reservoirs. The key (if not using a vacuum bleeder) is letting the brake lever back out slowly so you don't introduce air into the reservoir. Allow the piston to fill. When the brake lever is at maximum distance from the bar, crack the bleeder until the bar lever (or foot lever) is all the way to the bar (or down), tighten the bleeder and then slowly release the lever to refill the piston. Do that until you have clean new fluid coming out and the brake lever doesn't require much pull (foot push) and Bob's Your Uncle.

As to your back problem it may not be totally ergonomic. Try increasing your preload on the rear shocks one click and see how that feels.

To bleed ABS roadster you need the Android Tune Ecu and OBD2 adaptor. It will allow you to cycle the abs during the bleed operation.
Thanks. Are the front and rear brake tied together in any way?
Ie... if I swap the controls out can I ride it to the dealer with only front brakes to get the rear bled?

Is there anyway to bleed without the tune?

Yes! A "Dealer Tool" is supposedly necessary.
I have 2 Rocket Roadsters and both rear ABS systems SUCK!
I was so excited when I bought my first rocket to have my first motor with ABS.
When trail braking while hooning twisties for several minutes, both rear brake pedals locks up and refuses to move, eliminating any brake application!
Besides being terrifying, eye popping, major sphincter puckering, and inducing subsequent visions of heaven, this is NOT acceptable!
In efforts to keep brake fluid cooler, I moved the rear reservoir outboard 1 more inch from exhaust, I replaced brake fluid (bled many times), went to ceramic pads (which I loved), on both Roadsters all to no avail.
The only cure was to pull the rear ABS fuses. No issues ever since.
Both front ABS' work great. Since the front brakes provide 70% of total braking force, I'm OK with this fix.

Yes! A "Dealer Tool" is supposedly necessary.
I have 2 Rocket Roadsters and both rear ABS systems SUCK!
I was so excited when I bought my first rocket to have my first motor with ABS.
When trail braking while hooning twisties for several minutes, both rear brake pedals locks up and refuses to move, eliminating any brake application!
Besides being terrifying, eye popping, major sphincter puckering, and inducing subsequent visions of heaven, this is NOT acceptable!
In efforts to keep brake fluid cooler, I moved the rear reservoir outboard 1 more inch from exhaust, I replaced brake fluid (bled many times), went to ceramic pads (which I loved), on both Roadsters all to no avail.
The only cure was to pull the rear ABS fuses. No issues ever since.
Both front ABS' work great. Since the front brakes provide 70% of total braking force, I'm OK with this fix.

Back