Brake pads...again ?

Rear pads already??? I have over 55,000 kilometers on mine and I'm still on the factory original pads (front and rear). I pull them off every year and clean, then measure (only takes a few minutes). Since the friction material is bonded and not riveted there is a lot of extra life available. New OEM ones are waiting, ready to be installed, but I won't do it until it's needed. Who said the pads need to be changed - dealer? Have you measured them? I'd be curious to see how much friction material is still on the pad backing plates.

One thought and maybe this is the reason for premature brake failure, is the caliper seized on the pins causing one pad to wear more than the other?

i find on my touring i go through a set of rears, usually once a year and the fronts about 2-years, but i use sintered pads on the front and organic on the rear as i found the sintered would cause the rear wheel to lock up to easy, the organic pads helped to alleviate some of that, but they wear quicker

Rear pads already??? I have over 55,000 kilometers on mine and I'm still on the factory original pads (front and rear). I pull them off every year and clean, then measure (only takes a few minutes). Since the friction material is bonded and not riveted there is a lot of extra life available. New OEM ones are waiting, ready to be installed, but I won't do it until it's needed. Who said the pads need to be changed - dealer? Have you measured them? I'd be curious to see how much friction material is still on the pad backing plates.

One thought and maybe this is the reason for premature brake failure, is the caliper seized on the pins causing one pad to wear more than the other?
No one told me they needed to be changed. I just happened to look down and noticed the brake reservoir level was almost to the low line. There are no brake fluid leaks so I figured the caliper was pushing out to about the max, quick peek at the pads and yep they’re looking pretty thin.
Plus I‘d rather change them a bit early and not score up the rotor. Pads small dollars and 5 minutes, Rotor big dollars and way more time.
I spent most of my life living in a rural community, and could not fathom how city slickers went through brake pads so fast. Now I live in a very urban area with some of the worst traffic in the world, I now understand why.
I didn’t have my caliper handy when I changed them this morning but I did take a picture.
22680551-A7CF-4463-ABD0-E5B075585CC6.png

Last edited:
Yep.... those are worn out for sure. Wasn't trying to criticize you. Just surprised that they were finished so soon. Glad you checked them before they ruined your rotor.

No one told me they needed to be changed. I just happened to look down and noticed the brake reservoir level was almost to the low line. There are no brake fluid leaks so I figured the caliper was pushing out to about the max, quick peek at the pads and yep they’re looking pretty thin.
Plus I‘d rather change them a bit early and not score up the rotor. Pads small dollars and 5 minutes, Rotor big dollars and way more time.
I spent most of my life living in a rural community, and could not fathom how city slickers went through brake pads so fast. Now I live in a very urban area with some of the worst traffic in the world, I now understand why.
I didn’t have my caliper handy when I changed them this morning but I did take a picture.
22680551-A7CF-4463-ABD0-E5B075585CC6.png
I had a brand new set of rear pads on a Bonneville America go out in barely a year once. Got that same "rest your foot on the pedal?" question. Sometimes you just wanna slap people.

I use the rear brake for turn in a lot, so I go through a lot of rears too, but I never kept track of the milage

Back