Valve cover gasket?

Smitty81

.060 Over
Ride
2016 Rocket III Roadster
Hello Gents,

I noticed that a bit of gasket has bulged out near the top of the engine on my R3R, just slightly forward of the front-most cylinder on the right-hand side. A few of questions about this. Is it the valve cover gasket I'm looking at? Is this kind of thing typically covered for repair under the factory warranty? And most importantly, is it at all safe to keep riding like this? It's 40 miles or so to the shop. At present it doesn't appear to be leaking oil.

I'd appreciate any input. Thanks!

Last edited:
Yes that is the valve cover gasket.
It is reasonably common for them to blow in exactly that spot (happened to me last year)
I can't tell you if it is safe to ride but I rode mine for about 50 k before I noticed that it had blown.
If it were me I would just put the bike in the back of the truck but there are others smarter than I who will have a better opinion I am sure.

If you are doing the work yourself it is not very hard, but tricky and can definitely use a second pair of hands.

It will only weep at first and even if it drips out on the way it will not prevent anyone riding probably a 1000 miles before getting it fixed. Best to get to ASAP under warranty though and give them a few hints how to fit it as it is the 'sloppy' fitting that causes this fault to occur.

Search the forum and you will find many threads and even 'how to guides' to do it properly yourself. There will be five possibly similar threads linked below at bottom of this and every thread page when using the forum.

If you're not getting leaking yet, just ride it, keep RPM below 3k, should be fine. High RPM will exacerbate the potential leak, its a wide sealing surface, so you're only seeing 1/2 the seal sticking out, the other 1/2 is still in place.
Cool, thank you. I'll make a service appointment when I get back to the states. I appreciate the input.

As easy as it is to be upset with the installer, order a head gasket yourself, and see how Triumph delivers it.

Looks like a waded up used piece of gum coming out of the envelop, probably explains why this happens so often.

yep can definitely empathize i've gone through 2 gaskets; finally my 3rd is not crimping i believe oil may have a factor previous i ran 300v racing oil which shifted like butter but is only good for 3k miles and it quickly crimped. I'm running motul 7100 oil no issues with gasket and shifts almost as good

yep can definitely empathize i've gone through 2 gaskets; finally my 3rd is not crimping i believe oil may have a factor previous i ran 300v racing oil which shifted like butter but is only good for 3k miles and it quickly crimped. I'm running motul 7100 oil no issues with gasket and shifts almost as good
I see the difference between the two oils, wonder what would happen running both 50/50. I've been wanting to try motul but the 300V not readily available in 15w50 off the shelf so I've been sticking with Red Line oil. Not because its american made but because it was Motul 300V and Red Line that Mega cycle cams spoke highly about.

I decided what I thought might be porosity in a casting is a little weeping from the same area. No bulging at all that I can see. For the time being I am just running it because it is nothing more the a minor surface wetting. I generally don't even need to wipe it as I suspect heat burns it off. I just got a new gasket to have on hand.

I agree, a wadded up mess. If we get get another hot sunny day I am going to lay it out as people suggest and then store it flat between a couple of pieces of cardboard. I not looking forward to changing it out. I haven't seen a fool proof method to stop it from happening other than a thorough cleaning and degreasing of the area. Perhaps some light fine 400 or 600 grit sand of the area on both the cover and head surface to improve the bite. Anyone tried a little thin coating of contact cement in the area?

Back