Oil tank temp gauges - cheap as

The one I linked is in Celsius, I prefer Celsius as well unless we’re talking weather, then Fahrenheit it is.

A quick glance down will let you see it, but, I’m more interested in seeing this for oil weight reasons.
Excellent, that is the one I like. If it fits it will be on the shopping list

You must be younger than the rest of us Mick ;):D

Convert Fahrenheit to Celsius

℃ = (℉ - 32) / 1.8
I don't know about being younger, I just don't want to do the head math. Constantly do it to work out time and distance. I just want to take a quick peek and know it is okay
or

C = (℉ - 32) x 5 / 9

@Ishrub
Thanks, Ish.
I have sent email to cancel my order and replace with the:
Bikers Choice - 71559S3 - Oil Tank Dipstick with Temperature Gauge~ 49-0636 | eBay

Odd that the formula shown mixes decimals and fractions, I learned it as 9/5, not 1.8
Anyone that doesn't use good old red blooded American Fahrenheit is a bit suspect anyway. ;)

Heck of a lot easier to multiply by 1.8 than by the fraction 9/5 on a calculator.
When you were young perhaps decimals hadn't been invented yet!!!
Tongue.jpg

@Ishrub
Thanks for the tip! :thumbsup:
I ordered one on eBay and it came today.
Found it for $14 and free shipping (in the US)
Bikers Choice 71559S3 Oil Tank Dipstick with Temperature Gauge harley push in | eBay

It fits real good. Goes in easy and is just a bit more snug than the OEM cap.
The stem is a bit longer, but still clears. The top marking is just about even with the low mark on the original. I'll scribe my own lines when is gets a little warmer.
I held it under hot tap water and it went right up to 140 Degrees F, about what I keep my water heater at. So it is in the ballpark at least.

Here's a few pics.
IMG_1220.JPG IMG_1222.JPG IMG_1226.JPG IMG_1224.JPG IMG_1228.JPG

So folks, it fits the R3T. However the shipping outside the US is $30 from this seller, so that kind of squashes the nice deal for our mates over seas. Bummer. But the other links in this thread are nice buys, too!

Last edited:
I guess it's nice to know the temp of the oil but what temp would be considered to hot?

When it does hit that temp I guess one would let the bike engine cool down... on a water cooled bike?

It somewhat depends on the oil you use but anything over 250f/120c concern me. 110-110c would be a normal range to see. Context: My turbo mini on autocross days hotlapping was getting into the 235f range, but is normally 210-220f in street driving, so I expect the R3 will be in the 200/210 area.

If it does get into the 260 range, let it idle for about 10 minutes before shutting down. It’ll drop the temp back to normal ranges quicker at idle than if you were to just kill it. 300f would be my “must hit kill switch” temp, it indicates something very wrong inside the motor (like a spun bearing).

Last edited:
Only thing is, can you see it when you're riding? Otherwise not much use.
Not safely. I had one, and you have to lean way over to see it.
I guess it's nice to know the temp of the oil but what temp would be considered to hot?

When it does hit that temp I guess one would let the bike engine cool down... on a water cooled bike?
The one I had always read between 190-200, depending on the tune I was running.

BTW that would be between 87-92C :D

Back