Neville Lush Racing,

Jamie

Living Legend
Hi,

Am in touch with the captioned Australian company. Besides PowerCommander-type e:management "solutions", they produce higher compressions pistons, hot camshafts and a reinforced clutch with a lock-up set-up for the Rocket (neither turbos nor compressors) .

With simultaneous e:tweaks (which I don't quite comprehend), these engine mods are reportedly --although credibly-- yielding a 40 HP gain to about 180:rolleyes: , without any reliability trade-off. I don't know what's the pure mechanical, i.e. net of electronic optimization, improvement. But I am curious. Has anyone of you dealt with that company?

Feedback appreciated. Thanks heaps. Jamie:)

I have not found anybody online or in person that has Nev's products in their bike, and I would really like some word-of-mouth from a fellow Rocket captain or two before replacing engine internals.

I was very interested in purchasing Nev's mild drop-in cam, but he refused to give me the specs on the duration. We also were unable to agree upon a price as I thought the $900 for used cams was way to high.

I'm also quite confused about the high compression pistons Nev sells. He says that new cams are required with the high compression pistons, yet Sharer Cycle Triumph out of Wisconsin sells pistons with a higher compression ratio than Nev's and swears that you don't need to change out the cams. I know of nobody who has tried Sharer's Wiseco high compression pistons or Nev's high compression pistons, but I know that somebody is wrong.

I will say that Nev has always been cool to me and is very smart about engines. He knows more than I will ever know about engines or about business. He has some great posts that have helped me out. Even though we couldn't come to an agreement on the mild cams, it was all done in a classy, gentleman kind of way.

I do hope that some captains are able to share some information about his products in the future.

Thanks Tallxguy. Yes, everything, communication-wise is classy and gentleman-like. Not really documented. But not pushy either. And, pardon the pun, there ain' t no Rocket science, be it out there or down under:).​

Will follow-up with Neville. The bottomline question of mine remains : how much in aussie dollars should 30 to 40 add'l credible and sustainable ( as in "dependable") ponies fetch. Jamie:cool:

Last edited:
I have not found anybody online or in person that has Nev's products in their bike, and I would really like some word-of-mouth from a fellow Rocket captain or two before replacing engine internals.

I was very interested in purchasing Nev's mild drop-in cam, but he refused to give me the specs on the duration. We also were unable to agree upon a price as I thought the $900 for used cams was way to high.

I'm also quite confused about the high compression pistons Nev sells. He says that new cams are required with the high compression pistons, yet Sharer Cycle Triumph out of Wisconsin sells pistons with a higher compression ratio than Nev's and swears that you don't need to change out the cams. I know of nobody who has tried Sharer's Wiseco high compression pistons or Nev's high compression pistons, but I know that somebody is wrong.

I will say that Nev has always been cool to me and is very smart about engines. He knows more than I will ever know about engines or about business. He has some great posts that have helped me out. Even though we couldn't come to an agreement on the mild cams, it was all done in a classy, gentleman kind of way.

I do hope that some captains are able to share some information about his products in the future.

In the post of Nev's I sent you, I remember that he first got 153 hp with a custom exhaust and PCIII mapping. Then he polished the heads (he said the porting was pretty good). The he put higher compression, ceramic coated pistons in and ceramic coated the combustion chamber. Then he put a different cam in. The cam doesn't produce higher compression. It takes advantage of it. After these mods, he got 180 hp. Putting in Sharer pistons, with supposedly more than 11:1 compression would probably wreck the motor if you didn't use hardened and/or coated parts.Like valves. With hotter cams, you prolly need Tuneboy to set the re-timing. As far as the cost for 40 hp, I'm pretty sure V-twin mods like these on Harley slugs, including labor and tuning, cost MANY thousands. What do they get? 110 hp? A Turbo Connection turbo (>200 hp) is only about $5K.

Last edited:
Texas guy

Texas, you were offered a set of cams for $900AUSTRALIAN which is roughly $690US. I bent over backwards providing you with answers to most of your questions,even spending my hardearned on the phone to a friend in Texas organising a shop who would do the job.Then you offered me $250US for the same parts. I am a sole operator business,which is no longer fashionable,but am not into giving away $. This is my 30th year in my trade and at this time of my life I am looking to enjoy my work as much as possible whilst providing for my two boys. If you bothered to google my name you may come up with some info. I have since sold those cams and some more like it ,I asked on guy to get on the net and say some thing and he says," I am too busy riding my bike!" FWIW I think it would be a disatsre putting 11:1 comp pistons in a stock motor. Stock comp is 8.7 and cranking pressure is 200psi. My pistons are 9.7. With bigger cams,headwork and a good exhaust we have indeed acheived 184hp rw. Stock bike was 124 on the same dyno. I am working on two more R3 in the next two weeks. I use PCommanders. Also have Used Tuneboys. Depends what the owner has or hasn't got when he arrives. I also tune with Harley Race tuner,Yoshis products,Kawasaki race tuner etc etc.Trained in S&S VFI. I should be working now but read thsi post and felt I must respond. Website is under construction as we speak,so more info will be available soon. Regards Neville

Thanks for the info.

What sort of machine work would be needed to achieve similar results with your performance parts? Would your set up require a custom dyno tune? I have tuneboy now, could one of your previous tunes be used?

I think I will start saving.:bch:

Last edited:
Well, Nev certainly is on the web. Just google him.

Besides all the head, cam and piston stuff that went into the 184 hp engine, there's also the custom exhaust. Assuming one could get all the other stuff from Nev, what about the exhaust? How much gain would you get with TOR's or Jardines?

Nev,
You talked about a "good exhaust" when achieving those impressive results. Would you consider any of the following good exhausts: Jardines, TORs, Staintunes, Maddogs, D&Ds?

I as well as quite a few other captains are very interested in how well your products will work with our non-custom exhausts. In other words, would a non-custom exhaust lightly, moderately, or severely limit the ability of your products to perform optimally.

I totally respect your monster Rocket! I think I speak for many captains when I say that news about your products is awaited upon with much eagerness.

Keep up the great work,
Tall Tx Guy

:bch:

Well, Nev certainly is on the web. Just google him.

No means to purchase the goods yet though. Right? If I could ride to OZ from here I would.

Nev have you sold anything (Rocket-wise) to anyone in the US yet?

US

No rocket stuff gone to the USof A yet. Quite a bit sneaking around OZ. Sold lots of early Kawa stuff to the states and Europe over the years until gradually most of it has been copied by Americans.Whilst this may be upsetting to those of you who are American it is true. A good friend of mine has had the same experience as me on a much larger scale,so naturally that is why I am coy about giving too much information.As to purchasing parts I guess most folk use fax/phone visa/direct deposit like the old days.A guy I sponsor on a Supersport bike is making me a website with sale facilities as we speak,so it should not be too far away. Staintunes are definately not a big hp exhaust from the ones I have tested. The Jardines are the best of the over the coounter exhausts.If one looks at them they are MILES away from being tuned length.I put some drop in cams into a bike with S/tunes and gained 11hp at max and 8hp at 3250. Mind you the bike only did 129 with the s/tunes as I received it. Whatever you do to your bike it MUST be tuned well afterwards. Any mod to any injected bike and they need to be optimised.Just because they run smooth does not mean they are running well.A generic tune or a tune swap may get you closer but it will not be right.It makes so much difference to have the bike tuned well.Turns a good motor into an impressive one.Have to go and do some work.BTW Texas the 184hp one is not a monster,it rides smoooth and easy,just moves when you open the throttle.

Back