Installation of Neville Lush Racing "Street" cam shafts - coda

Yes so it has been tuned by pros that Shop in Seattle those guys where great with the Rocket . Getting that much hp back then was good for what they did.
But I am worried say I did Nev’s cams or the carpenters kit will it make me take off even faster? Or will it just spin the tire and end up taking off slower? Until it grabs?
Or I would get that same thrill as I did riding the new 2018 Boss Hoss because the Triumph is lighter and with 200hp or so I would get that same kind of Rush?

I’d put titles against a boss hoss that I’ll beat it from 0-150 mph in both metrics that count if both bikes are setup in true street trim:

Time and Distance.

A well executed hole shot on a Rocket (especially a modded one) can really only be beaten by purpose built drag bikes.

Every single thing about the bike is almost ideal for 0-60:
Long wheelbase
Fat Tire
Lots of rearward weight shift
Enough and broad enough torque to spin the rear, lift the front, or go like hell depending how applied
Enough gearing to hit 60 in 1st with a raised redline

2.5 second 0-60mph on a modded Rocket is not a stretch if done right.

The torque of the boss hoss is what feels so good, because objectively, it’s slow as ****. My Daytona 955i could walk all over it on the drag strip.

Nothing wrong with change for the sake of change, but don’t kid yourself, a small investment in the R3 will yield a bike that’s better in every metric that matters: MPG, Cornering Clearance, weight, 0-150, quarter times, standing mile speeds, stopping distance etc etc...

I've never had a problem with traction. It's more about keeping my bodyweight as far forward as possible to try and keep the front end down, especially once it gets on the cams. Where the stock motor starts falling off, the big cams really take off.

Agreed, if you hole shot right the front tire will generally lift at or around 6500 for me, and stay up till redline.

I did have traction issues at the strip, kept opening throttle too quickly at about the 30ft mark and it would light up the rear tire.

@canecorso
Amigo,
Pretty much all of which you speak is skill - S-K-I-L-L!
I would love to run off against a Boss Hoss from a stop with my 160HP stock R3R!
Against a modded engine Rocket, like Rob or Scott, the Boss Hoss would be a joke.
Forget the the twisties . . . that would be a ridiculous no contest.

PS: My basis for this boast is:
1) I have ridden with a good rider on his Boss Hoss.
2) A magazine shoot out some years ago had the Boss Hoss barely beating a stock Kaw 2000 V2K in the quarter.
I rode a modded V2K for 12 years and 80K miles and it is not in the Rocket's league!
Just sayin' . . . :D

The old Boss Hoss are dinasores I ridden a few old one But a 2018 Boss Hoss I really enjoyed 350 it had 563 hp they really trimmed it down , I wanted to buy it but just can’t get it insured here.
I sure I’m not even coming close to the power of my Rocket but just like to feel it more :)
But I would love to see a race with a Triumph and a 2019 fuel injection Boss Boss , but there is nothing as yet on U-tube I can find

If so do decide to keep my Rocket so want to do it up more to have the bigger grin even though I still want use much more ,with out loosing reliability just to have a bigger grin on me like I did with that new Boss Hoss , perhaps long run my grin would go off and I would regret if I ever did buy the new Boss Hoss and got rid of my Rocket .i don’t want to be one of those guys that get rid of there wife because they thought the ride was better then regrets what they did lol

It’s not about how much power they make, they are no questions asked the top dog in “motorcycle” power.

It’s more about application of said power.

Curious what the final torque multiplication ratio is for the newer boss hoss bikes.

Off I go to have a looksie, my gut tells me the R3 puts more torque to the ground in 1st gear.

I should add, conceptually they seem like they’d be a lot of fun to cruise on.

Last edited:
If so do decide to keep my Rocket so want to do it up more to have the bigger grin even though I still want use much more ,with out loosing reliability just to have a bigger grin on me like I did with that new Boss Hoss , perhaps long run my grin would go off and I would regret if I ever did buy the new Boss Hoss and got rid of my Rocket .i don’t want to be one of those guys that get rid of there wife because they thought the ride was better then regrets what they did lol
If you need a change send me your Orange Tribal tins and I will send you my Phantom Black ones. ;):D

They are in excellent condition and were switched out of a Roadster about 6 months from new as the owner wanted a spare set of 'White Pearl' tins that he had got painted fitted.

I don’t think having phantom black tins give me more of a rush lol, but I do have another set of tins and I am thinking if I keep it I might do the other set in orange with a black cobra strip or a different paint job as much as I love the orange , but if I do a custom paint job , I’ll think of you:) there is that guy that was supposed to do all my stuff I made for my bike but got way too busy to fit me in, so he says this winter again .
Now once this is done to my bike I’ll keep it for sure .right now I’m making a trunk lol that will turn into a passenger seat if needed, just at a point not sure what way I’m going yet.

The old Boss Hoss are dinasores I ridden a few old one But a 2018 Boss Hoss I really enjoyed 350 it had 563 hp they really trimmed it down , I wanted to buy it but just can’t get it insured here.
I sure I’m not even coming close to the power of my Rocket but just like to feel it more :)
But I would love to see a race with a Triumph and a 2019 fuel injection Boss Boss , but there is nothing as yet on U-tube I can find
I had thought Boss Hoss only made trikes till I saw your post. I went to there site and see they have two bikes but as far as the site does, they are only different in name and paint. I do find it odd that they only list a back brake on the spec sheet for each yet I can clearly see dual front disks in the photos.
Each bike has the same two engines to choose from. I am pretty sure if I were to own one, it would not be for its handling and speed prowess, but for its shear magnitude of metal.

To Whom it May Concern:

I went to the tuner today, and 100 miles later, I am ecstatic.

For anyone considering a performance upgrade, who would like to obtain 90% of the fun (my imagination, to be sure) for 20% of the money, I highly recommend this performance upgrade. And I understand @Neville Lush has several sets of these well-designed cams ready to ship.

With much assistance, I installed a pair of subject cams, and I am most happy with how the bike has turned out.

Many have followed my saga of changing the cams -- and that story is how a person of mediocre mechanical skills, with much support (particular shout out to @warp9.9 ), can manage this job. All of the challenges I encountered would have been present had I been only changing out the cam shafts for OEM replacements -- all the challenges encountered had nothing to do with the excellent work produced by Neville Lush Racing. I'm sure the second time would go much more quickly and confidently. I am much more knowledgeable about the bike now.

Installation of Neville Lush Racing "street" cams in 2014 Rocket III Touring

Nev has a well-deserved reputation for an under appreciated skill set, called systems engineering, with a remarkable ability to combine that with effective learning and application of his arts to motorcycles, including oh so fortunately our beloved Rockets.

So let me set the stage.

What is real ?

Liars figure, and figures lie, and what follows I assert is as honest, and real, as is available.

I went looking for a Rocket in 2014.

The sound bite from Triumph at the time was: Roadster: 150 horsepower/ 100 ft-lb torque -- Touring: 100 horsepower/ 150 ft-lb torque.

Actual measured data at the rear wheel for multiple stock bikes yields:

Roadster/Classic 122 horsepower

Touring 103 horsepower

Against that backdrop, I completed my ECU map session today, at MRP Motorsports with owner Kenny Martin at the controls, and much input from Neville Lush.

In round numbers, I'm looking at a broad torque curve of 147 ft-lb at 2,700 rpm, to 152 ft-lb peak at 4,200 rpm, falling off to 110 ft-lb at 7,000 rpm.

Power has seen a significant increase, to 115 hp at 4,000 rpm, 129 hp at 4,500 rpm, 142 hp at 5,000 rpm, 150 hp at 5,500 rpm, 154 hp peak at 6,200 rpm, 153 hp at 6,500 rpm, and 148 hp at 7,000 rpm.

The dynamometer run is accompanied by weather or ambient atmosphere data, because with normally aspirated engines this matters, and at 94ºF in the booth today, the bike is under performing by five to seven horsepower.

Many of you know I enjoyed running with a "derestricted" map from @HansO for several years -- still a viable option (under "Resources") [dyno sheet posted previously].

Another data point here, is that my current setup achieves more torque at 60% throttle that I did flat out with the Hans map.

I am also told that the Rocket exhaust is its biggest limitation, and that will be my next project.
Paul after a year are you happy with your cam install and the ones you purchased? I’m going with Neville myself in October, thanks

Back