Leather Chaps

I picked some up just the other day ...

48D2CA02-48D3-4116-9D44-4B3138DCF0CC.jpeg

Good thing you have a brown seat on that Indian of your!!

I have some leather pants but prefer my kevlar lined jeans as they are more flexible when sitting on the bike...leather seems to hug the legs and do get hot in the sun.

...leather seems to hug the legs and do get hot in the sun.
Hmm - then I would worry what leather it is. Leather as a material is a remarkably excellent shield from dry radiated heat, conversely if fares poorly if the air is cool and damp. - Are they lined? if so with what?. 90% of leathers I have seen/owned have had really ****ty sweat inducing linings. You are better cutting the linings out of leathers (unless they are kevlar)

Kevlar/aramid/Dyneema linings in jeans are only of any use if they are 100% - The downside is that you are adding (usually) a fairly thick lining. And they are usually efficient insulators.

The exception would be SINGLE LAYER DYNEEMA JEANS. The protection is woven into the denim itself. And the are cool rather than warm - I have tried them but I am not comfortable in a "jeans" cut trouser.

Leather has two protection properties - It resists abrasion and as it is sort of spongy absorbs impacts.

After wearing the brown chaps I had in Stearns, I have decided to just stay with my old soft black cowhide chaps. The brown ones are up for grabs if anyone is interested...........Miss Sandy? They match that white and brown Indian
Westerns - Langlitz Leathers

I bought a pair of these and they are more protective than chaps. I wear chaps also for increased protection and cold weather comfort.

Hmm - then I would worry what leather it is. Leather as a material is a remarkably excellent shield from dry radiated heat, conversely if fares poorly if the air is cool and damp. - Are they lined? if so with what?. 90% of leathers I have seen/owned have had really ****ty sweat inducing linings. You are better cutting the linings out of leathers (unless they are kevlar)

Kevlar/aramid/Dyneema linings in jeans are only of any use if they are 100% - The downside is that you are adding (usually) a fairly thick lining. And they are usually efficient insulators.

The exception would be SINGLE LAYER DYNEEMA JEANS. The protection is woven into the denim itself. And the are cool rather than warm - I have tried them but I am not comfortable in a "jeans" cut trouser.

Leather has two protection properties - It resists abrasion and as it is sort of spongy absorbs impacts.

Yeah I've got overpants and kevlar Jean's with pads built in. The Jean's only have the kevlar in the main areas. I've wondered how effective they would be

IMG_0315.JPG Never been a fan of them. Always thought of it as a Harley thing. Even so after riding this for a few years and still ride it time to time always looked at the folks in chaps as well you know. :(:(:(:(:( Guess again. Bought a pair of chaps a few days ago and wore them into work today. Found them to be warm and very comfortable. Easy on and easy off. Did spend a little bit of money on them and got a high quality and good fit product. Would not recommend in 20 degree weather but for the ride in 40-50 degrees very nice. :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

I wear hockey socks which go up past the knees under my jeans & ride in 40deg weather with chaps very comfortable & warm.

Back