Viking leather hard bags on Roadster w/ removable brackets

JSHRAM

.060 Over
Ride
2011 Triumph Rocket 3 Roadster
Found what I think is a successful combo. Really wanted some sort of bags to carry things in. I re-painted the girl and left the rear seat off to show off the color but that leaves me without a place to strap a bag, making bags more critical.

Found these Viking leather bags (they are hard bags) on E-bay from an estate sale, so I stole them for $75 brand new.. Yay! Retail they go for $199 plus shipping from Viking. These are the Odin bags:

Indian Scout Viking Odin Large Motorcycle Saddlebags

They come with brackets but forget those.. toss 'em... I had been looking at the Mutazu hard bags, but with my custom pipe I wasn't sure they'd fit, so I went looking for a smaller bag, but I was intrigued by the quick-release hardware that Mutazu sells:

"Click On" Universal Hard Saddle bags detachable quick release mounting brackets

They can also be found on e-bay as universal brackets, but really they are Mutazu.

Universal Hard Saddle bags detachable quick release mounting brackets 635309270207 | eBay

But the pricing was better on E-bay so that's what I bought.

I really like the looks of the bags and the fact that they can be dropped in literally 5 seconds each... no kidding.... the only modification to the brackets you need to make is that the front bolt is an M10 and the kit comes with M8 bolts so you need to drill one of the mount studs out for M10.. the rear is an M8... easy.

My only complaint so far is that the mouth of the bag is a bit small.. inside is plenty large for a good day trip, or even an over-night as long as you don't need rain gear and all that... but water, food, soft stuff.. great. Computer? No, it won't fit in the opening. The lock and velcro work great.

Anyway, food for thought. Here's pics.

John

Great pix, Ish!
Those look to be farther outboard from the fender than the Easy Brackets, which are out there as well.
I'd sure like to get them tucked in better.
Now looking at the Viking Spear Shock Cutout Large Leather at 33½ liters each.

those look great, you did a great job finding brackets for 'em.
Because of the adjacent exhaust pipe and their termination point, you may want to line the bottom (outside and inside) of your bags with a product like Thermo-Tec adhesive-backed heat barrier. i found on my recent week-long trip that it helped alot in keeping the stuff inside my corbin beetle bags from roasting.

Found what I think is a successful combo. Really wanted some sort of bags to carry things in. I re-painted the girl and left the rear seat off to show off the color but that leaves me without a place to strap a bag, making bags more critical.

Found these Viking leather bags (they are hard bags) on E-bay from an estate sale, so I stole them for $75 brand new.. Yay! Retail they go for $199 plus shipping from Viking. These are the Odin bags:

They come with brackets but forget those.. toss 'em... I had been looking at the Mutazu hard bags, but with my custom pipe I wasn't sure they'd fit, so I went looking for a smaller bag, but I was intrigued by the quick-release hardware that Mutazu sells:

"Click On" Universal Hard Saddle bags detachable quick release mounting brackets

They can also be found on e-bay as universal brackets, but really they are Mutazu.

Universal Hard Saddle bags detachable quick release mounting brackets 635309270207 | eBay

I really like the looks of the bags and the fact that they can be dropped in literally 5 seconds each... no kidding.... the only modification to the brackets you need to make is that the front bolt is an M10 and the kit comes with M8 bolts so you need to drill one of the mount studs out for M10.. the rear is an M8... easy.

My only complaint so far is that the mouth of the bag is a bit small.. inside is plenty large for a good day trip, or even an over-night as long as you don't need rain gear and all that... but water, food, soft stuff.. great. Computer? No, it won't fit in the opening. The lock and velcro work great.

John

I really like the look of those Viking headers but I don't see any heat shielding. Do they have an inner pipe or are you just living with it?

I really like the look of those Viking headers but I don't see any heat shielding. Do they have an inner pipe or are you just living with it?

Living with the heat for now. They are really awesome but some sort of shielding is in my future...

John

Thanks for the great post! Just what I was looking for!

Back