Thunderbird Leather sissy bar bags fit R3 Tourings and R3 Classics/ Roadsters

Ishrub

That's my name ....built like a truck
Ride
2x2010 ABS Roadsters, Sprint ST 1050 ABS, 3x250s
Here fitted flat to back of an R3 Classic.

That Leather bag is the small version for the Thunderbird Storm etc, and is meant for sissy bar /rack mount as used on the 'Longhaul' type rack pattern found on R3Ts, Americas and Thunderbirds, but in different widths and part numbers not all interchangeable.

Both small and big bags are available new with a hunt.

1 Leather Sissy Bar Bag, Small A9528033 with instructions; or
Sissybar Bag, Leather, Slim A9520090 bag only
NO LONGER AVAILABLE
$129.63 inc. VAT(£72.00) -

A9528033-1000x1000.jpg

Link Removed

I have and use the large version which is the right shape to fit the R3 Roadster sissy bar rack too but the velcro straps are in the wrong place on the R3R.

1 Sissybar Bag, Leather A9520080 Replaces A9528032
pictureprovider.aspx
41lYO3C8yGL._SY355_.jpg

@Ishrub, do you have any of the install instructions for those bags? I couldn't seem to find them on the TriumphInstructions.com website. I am interested in seeing how the mounting is. The rider's backrest uses the same back pad as the sissy bar and so the bolt patterns are the same. I am thinking if these bags use those four bolts, then I could mount the smaller one to my rider backrest for solo riding and put a water bladder in there with a hose to simplify my hydration on long-distance rides. I found the bag on a Utopia backrest is just the right size for a 1.5l Camelback water pouch and the hose easily reached for drinking while riding without being distracting.

No bolts or brackets like the screen bags use, from viewng my large version only they use 3x velcro straps that wrap around the round rack bars and a slot behind the chrome back plate on the Touring Sissy bar pillion pad found on Tourings and some Americas and Thunderbirds as pictured above.

I would have to check if there are component parts of the riders backrest but pretty sure the Pillion Sissy Bar backrest pads are different. With a 3 part system of separate front pad with a hard plastic mount that sits in front of the round sissy bar and a chrome plate that bolts onto the back of the hard plastic mount clamping the round sissy bar between. The slot is molded into the plastic mount to allow the velcro strap to slide through.
They have a storm proof? nylon bag liner fixed inside with a draw string too.

This Large Sissy Bar Bag from Triumph provides classic styling and durability. While also offering an easy fitting arrangement with leather hook in strap and velcro attachments. Gives you a convenient storage area for small valuables behind the sissy bar. This item replaces part number A9528032 Dimensions: 11" across, 7.5" wide and 11" high Fits: Thunderbird 1600/1700

The bottom velcro straps go around R3T rack and the long one at back goes around sissy bar at top.

Link RemovedLink RemovedLink Removed

The Roadster rack and sissy bar are different and the long velecro tapes are not really suitable for use on the Roadster I have done so but the stitching on the velcro is starting to give as a am wrapping it in the wrong direction to fit.

Notice the Roadster rack design is completely different.

Last edited:
Thanks for the instructions and illustrations. I see, this will not interface with the rider backrest. But certainly compatible with the R3T passenger backrest and quick-release rack.

IMG_0809.JPG IMG_0810.JPG One strap holds it securely in place. Wraps around the front of bag and latches down under pad. IMG_0811.JPG More than enough room for cold weather gear and lunch. IMG_0807.JPG Bottom half of bag is solid which makes mounting very simple. Easy to get to stuff inside even with bag mounted on bike. Plus two side pockets for little stuff like cigs and flip phone.

Back