Journeyman

"And this one is just right" ~ Goldilocks
Ride
2020 3R
My Triumph leather bags were looking pretty sad, so I ordered the Saddlebag Stiffeners from Flipmeister and I am super impressed and satisfied with the results. They look way better and I believe they now hold more gear than in their previous limp state.

The instructions are well-written, just be sure you follow them carefully. I did quite a bit of wrestling with my bags before they finally lined up correctly. Don't question the inserts, it's your bags that have shrunken and changed shape.

The directions recommend applying Neatsfoot Oil to the inside of the bag to help soften the leather and I'm glad that I did- I used about 12 ozs on mine, as they were pretty dried out. I'm not sure he has them listed on his website, but he does still carry them- just drop him an email or call, if you're interested.

maddenimg_3656.jpg
maddenimg_3657.jpg
maddenimg_3711.jpg
maddenimg_3713.jpg

Good to see you'all lining up for inserts then. Those little screw together alloy rivet replacements of his for fixing the inserts are great! Get some extras as they are useful.

The other noted upgrade/repair option is short 10mm stainless M6 Allen key bolts with Nyloc nuts to replace the buckle rivets that tend to pop off over time. Takes about 18 of each to replace buckle rivets and they will never fail and look cool too!
Various styles but these 10mm cup/button head or even chunky cap/socket head ones look good too. Check around for prices on the stainless ones or go cheap with coated steel ones.

M6 x 10mm Hex Socket Cap Screw Plain Stainless Steel or Black​

Eg. M6 X 1.00P METRIC COARSE PLAIN BLACK GRADE 12.9 BUTTON HEAD SOCKET (4MM KEY) SCREWS
Au$9 for 20

1609628725669.png

Last edited:
If yours are really knackered there is a cheap set of New Old Stock factory Triumph R3 panniers without the stock frames going very cheap. They also have Aussie $ priced eBay listings for same items with GST but less currency swap fees. Aussies will get stung for GST either way by eBay.
Price:
GBP 150.00 ( US $205.04)

in UK with reasonable shipping worldwide.
GBP 80.00 (approx. US $109.36) Royal Mail International Tracked
Even cheaper if your are in UK GBP 15.00 Standard Shipping

They also have a complete new set with frames going for a good price too if you look on their eBay site.

1609632032195.png

If yours are really knackered there is a cheap set of New Old Stock factory Triumph R3 panniers without the stock frames going very cheap. They also have Aussie $ priced eBay listings for same items with GST but less currency swap fees. Aussies will get stung for GST either way by eBay.
Price:
GBP 150.00 ( US $205.04)

in UK with reasonable shipping worldwide.
GBP 80.00 (approx. US $109.36) Royal Mail International Tracked
Even cheaper if your are in UK GBP 15.00 Standard Shipping

They also have a complete new set with frames going for a good price too if you look on their eBay site.

1609632032195.png
That's crazy cheap!

Back