new backrest and rack and saddlebags

Deleted member 10105

VZM.IMG_20170807_232025.jpg
20200212_172207.jpg
20200212_172158.jpg

so, I've had this little saddlebag/backrest/rack system on my 03 honda shadow spirit 750 for some years, and now I've got it modified to fit the rocket.
it's not a perfect fit, but considering it only took about 2-3 hours to install, it ain't bad.
gonna need it for my upcoming 1500 mile trip to wyoming from louisiana in a week or two.

plus I've got that ugly box made out of 2 milk crates ziptied together and bolted onto a piece of plywood that in turn, bolts to the rack. kind of like a 3rd traveling bag. ugly, yes, but lots of space, plus it comes off with 3 bolts in about 1 minute once I get to where I'm going.

plus I've got that ugly box made out of 2 milk crates ziptied together and bolted onto a piece of plywood that in turn, bolts to the rack. kind of like a 3rd traveling bag. ugly, yes, but lots of space, plus it comes off with 3 bolts in about 1 minute once I get to where I'm going.
Camp at the right spot and you can use those milk crates to trap dinner too. Raccoon , squirrels - genius!;):D:roll::roll:

Don't worry I am faarrr more Hillbilly than you!

trap dinner, I never thought of that!! funny. yeah, I rather put a backpack on it, but on this one trip to miami, I had the bags full, that ugly box full, plus an army duffel bag bungeed on top, with stuff on the sides. I was loaded down for camping, with a bed, and all kind of crap.

I checked yesterday, I an fit my big Stihl chainsaw in it with the 20" bar. fits all the supplies for it including the spare 36" bar.
20200212_173009.jpg

trap dinner, I never thought of that!! funny. yeah, I rather put a backpack on it, but on this one trip to miami, I had the bags full, that ugly box full, plus an army duffel bag bungeed on top, with stuff on the sides. I was loaded down for camping, with a bed, and all kind of crap.

I checked yesterday, I an fit my big Stihl chainsaw in it with the 20" bar. fits all the supplies for it including the spare 36" bar.
20200212_173009.jpg
If you pack right ,you can carry everything you need for camping.

Sandy Hook.jpeg

Louisiana to Wyoming? Leaving in a couple of weeks? Wow good luck with that. I hope your taking your time.:eek::eek::eek:

Tough time of year to hit Wyoming on a bike. Gets pretty fridged and the winter storms are still passing through without enough time to route around them. Good luck.

Nice work on the rack. I had similar setup on a Honda Magna and was quite proud of it. Carried lots of stuff and even had custom mounting for a set of ‘70s era Vetter bags. Didn’t get around to mounting a Vetter faring though. The only thing to watch out for is overloading the rear rack. Making the bike top heavy is one issue, but the bigger issue is exceeding the fatigue strength of the bolts and the metal plate used for the sides. It is strong, but constant beating from long touring trips can cause it to fail at the wrong time. I saw a few guys who overloaded their tail trunks on FJRs and ended up braking the subframe it was mounted on. That rear subframe aft of the pillion can take the weight of an average person, but not for extended duration.

Nah, gonna run it in 30 hours if I can. I'll check weather and try to miss it, later up, try to stay on roads already salted.

Ah screw it, if I can run through hurricane isaac I can do this.
(I think)
Got a brand new tire coming wednesday and a

well the rack does have a lot of miles on it from the Honda Shadow and once I beat it with a hammer in a fit of rage but it's all welded back together nice and sound now.
gonna double check everything before I leave. including the weather.

but honestly I just saw the Mardi Gras schedule and I'm pretty sure I'm going to stay for it and then go.

Back