Intimitant starting

If u can hear it click u can eliminate the clutch switch/starter button/kickstand switch.
Which leaves
Starter relay and starter solenoid
I would guess that the solenoid is engaging the flywheel but not connecting the bat power to crank the motor.
If u have not done the toyota upgrade then now would be a good time
Hth

Ok i will try to offer an explanation
When the starter solenoid plunger hits the ring gear it is slowed down and does not fully engaged the solenoid washer so as to transfer the bat power to crank motor.
When u rock the bike u line up the ring gear and the starter bendix so it slams in making a good contact and wala she fires up.

Remove the starter and clean the solenoid contacts. Or get a new starter, or fix the stock with this kit. Be careful re-installing the starter. Don't pinch the rubber O-ring.

Hi Paul, glad to hear you didn't get earthquaked ! @Mittzy and some of his mates, figured out its the starter relay under the right hand side cover. The spade connections get dodgy and don't send enough power to the solenoid to drive to pinion gear into the flywheel (I think that's why rocking helps). I had that problem for several years. Rebuilt starter switch, big battery cables, all the usual suspects. After I read what they found, I disengaged the terminals from the relay socket and cleaned and re-crimped them. I then cleaned the blades on the relay, then slathered them with die-electric grease and plugged back in. Hasn't done it since !
I've just been in the workshop playing with the bike.
I stripped out the terminal block to the Starter relay, cleaned and re-crimped all the terminals.
I've started and stopped it two lots of ten times (20 times all up) every time the starter engaged with, and spun the Engine over.
I'll see what happens over the next week.

Will report back then.
Thanks for all your input Guys.

Ok i will try to offer an explanation
When the starter solenoid plunger hits the ring gear it is slowed down and does not fully engaged the solenoid washer so as to transfer the bat power to crank motor.
When u rock the bike u line up the ring gear and the starter bendix so it slams in making a good contact and wala she fires up.
Yep, that's what I figured was happening as when I rocked the bike and rotated the crank just that little bit it allowed the bendix to engage straight off and the Engine spun over.

If u can hear it click u can eliminate the clutch switch/starter button/kickstand switch.
Which leaves
Starter relay and starter solenoid
I would guess that the solenoid is engaging the flywheel but not connecting the bat power to crank the motor.
If u have not done the toyota upgrade then now would be a good time
Hth
Paul didn't state he serviced the starter solenoid. Looks like he addressed everything else. I bet the copper contacts are badly corroded in the solenoid. It would be nice to have a voltmeter on the solenoid supply wire when the no start happens. If you get 12 volts and no start, you have verified everything to the starter.

Edit - looks like you checked the solenoid.

Paul didn't state he serviced the starter solenoid. Looks like he addressed everything else. I bet the copper contacts are badly corroded in the solenoid. It would be nice to have a voltmeter on the solenoid supply wire when the no start happens. If you get 12 volts and no start, you have verified everything to the starter.

Edit - looks like you checked the solenoid.
Yep, had that all apart, the contacts were corroded so cleaned those up.
I really thought that I'd found the problem at that stage, but nope.

Back