Intimitant starting

Paul Bryant

Living Legend
Ride
2006 Rocket
I have been having an issue with starting the bike.
Battery is good, starter relay is good, starter motor is good, crank position sensor is clean, all connections have been well cleaned and re assembled.

What happens is some times I go to start the bike and it will fire up straight away just as expected.
Other times (totally random) ignition on, pull the clutch, hit the button, I hear the relay switch, I hear the starter solenoid activate, but the engine will not turn over.
If I put the bike in gear and "rock" the bike a little, it will start up straight away.

Can't figure it out, any suggestions ?

Brand new.
As I said, some times it will start straight off no problem.
What gets me is why will it start after I've 'rocked" the bike a little.
Obviously I'm shifting/rotating the crank a little.
Journeymans would sometimes intermittently start is why i asked clutch switch as he believes that was his issue. Didnt see the brand new clutch switch part.

I think Paul was saying the CPS was new.
Edit- no, I see now it's the clutch switch that's new. Hmmmm. Might still check it, but now that doesn't sound too likely. Sorry.

----

IF (?) it's the clutch switch you may be holding it in while you're rocking the bike and that movement is just enough to make contact in the switch. It's super easy to pull and check/clean. Under the switch on the clutch lever is a little square "window" where you can press a small screwdriver or pick to release the switch. It'll pull right out. Just a wedge of plastic that needs to be squeezed in a tad to allow it to come free. Water can easily get in there and corrode the switch.

In the process of cleaning mine up and reinstalling I pinched the two connecting wires (many others have done it)- then your bike will start, but your fuel gauge (I am not making this up ;-) will stop working, as well as other problems. There's a recent thread on it.

Otherwise, but probably not, ... kickstand switch, kill switch, ignition switch?

With a brand new clutch switch... my thoughts went to the side/kick stand switch.
-MIG

I have been having an issue with starting the bike.
Battery is good, starter relay is good, starter motor is good, crank position sensor is clean, all connections have been well cleaned and re assembled.

What happens is some times I go to start the bike and it will fire up straight away just as expected.
Other times (totally random) ignition on, pull the clutch, hit the button, I hear the relay switch, I hear the starter solenoid activate, but the engine will not turn over.
If I put the bike in gear and "rock" the bike a little, it will start up straight away.

Can't figure it out, any suggestions ?
Check and lube starter drive ( bendix ) and spline, check the teeth also.

Hi Paul, glad to hear you didn't get earthquaked ! @Mittzy and some of his mates, figured out its the starter relay under the right hand side cover. The spade connections get dodgy and don't send enough power to the solenoid to drive to pinion gear into the flywheel (I think that's why rocking helps). I had that problem for several years. Rebuilt starter switch, big battery cables, all the usual suspects. After I read what they found, I disengaged the terminals from the relay socket and cleaned and re-crimped them. I then cleaned the blades on the relay, then slathered them with die-electric grease and plugged back in. Hasn't done it since !

Back