Intimitant starting

Would you please refresh our memories with the correct starter/model/car brand to order? I'll look for the correct kit#. It is in the bike's repair files somewhere. I'm about to need one and I think I will replace the whole starter this time. I hear it spins stronger and faster.
Thank you
Yep, had that all apart, the contacts were corroded so cleaned those up.
I really thought that I'd found the problem at that stage, but nope.
It's going to be interesting to see how this one ends up.

I seem to recall a simular thread where it was cured with a starter relay.
I would asume the points inside the relay were bad and could not carry the
Amps to engage the starter solenoid properly.

I seem to recall a similar thread where it was cured with a starter relay.
I would assume the points inside the relay were bad and could not carry the
Amps to engage the starter solenoid properly.
I have had this problem of a dodgy starter relay in the past.
I pulled the relay apart and found that the contacts were burnt so cleaned them up so that I had a working unit, I then went and bought a replacement.
The symptoms of this were the same as what I am/was experiencing this time around.

Well here it is about a week later, I haven't done a lot of riding, but no starting issue's.
It looks like it was those terminals in the Starter relay block.

Thanks for all your help Guys.

20190314_165047A.jpg

Well here it is about a week later, I haven't done a lot of riding, but no starting issue's.
It looks like it was those terminals in the Starter relay block.

Thanks for all your help Guys.

20190314_165047A.jpg
Given my luck I should just go ahead and clean those now. Glad you got it sorted out. 🎉

...so why does rocking the bike fix that and why did you decide to rock it in the first place?...was the bike in gear when you rocked it?

...so why does rocking the bike fix that and why did you decide to rock it in the first place?...was the bike in gear when you rocked it?
Well Tal, in old days if it didn't go ya rocked it, or gave it a kick in the Guts ! :oops:
To be honest, I'd been through everything else, starter motor, Clutch switch, Crank Position sensor, the push button on the R/H switch block, the relay itself, I was trying to figure out exactly what this "solid click" was.
So yes, I'd put the bike in gear and shunt it around a little, after that it would start, so that led me onto thinking what exactly is going on here ?
The entire system seams to be working but it's not spinning the engine over.
By rotating the ring gear just that little bit the solenoid gear engaged easily, it should do this easily anyway.
That's where the low voltage as Tony alluded to came in and checking the relay terminal block for secure joints at the terminals, it's done the trick.

By rotating the ring gear just that little bit the solenoid gear engaged easily, it should do this easily anyway.
We would do this in a car if the starter motor was jammed ...possibly because a tooth was missing on the flywheel...you will remember doing this im sure..it worked for years sometimes!!!..you would hear the click as it moved...
We had a jetboat with a Mk2 Zephyr motor in it and one day when we were out fishing ...about 5 miles out...the bastard wouldnt turn over...like a half flat battery so i removed one of the spark plugs and started it on 5 cylinders...then...carefully put the plug back in with the pug spanner. I 'threw' the lead at the plug and tapped it with the wooden handle of a knife!!..It got us going!...Did it a number of times actually!.
Probably miles away from your problem but a good story anyway!!..lol.

Back