Intimitant starting

A loose fuse was a cause of the starting problem for me. I ended up putting a little blob of solder on one leg of the fuse to thicken it up a bit, and that did the trick.

There is a bad connection somewhere. Your job, should you choose to accept it, is to find that bad connection and eliminate it.
This tape will self destruct in 10 seconds.
I'll check that out Ian, as you say it's a bad connection somewhere.
Cheers.

Someone on the site had the same problem and could not find problem. Ended up cutting about 1/2" off the solenoid plunger spring. From then on, no problem with intermittent starts. I have the same problem as you and have cleaned clutch switch, starter button switch, kickstand switch, and replaced starter solenoid. Still not cured, might try shortening spring.

Someone on the site had the same problem and could not find problem. Ended up cutting about 1/2" off the solenoid plunger spring. From then on, no problem with intermittent starts. I have the same problem as you and have cleaned clutch switch, starter button switch, kickstand switch, and replaced starter solenoid. Still not cured, might try shortening spring.
Do let us know how you get on.
I've taken the time to order a repair kit from the above mentioned Guy, Carl in the U.K.

Do let us know how you get on.
I've taken the time to order a repair kit from the above mentioned Guy, Carl in the U.K.
I rebuilt the starter solenoid, put on the @Mittzy welding cable battery wires. Still had the problem. Hasn't done it since I worked on the relay socket. Been about a year now. (Your results may vary) 😁

O.K. I may have this problem sorted.
I got a repair kit for the solenoid fromwww.repairkitsuk.com quick service, ten days from placing the order to receiving it, minimal time to install and so far has been starting no problem at all.
Hopefully this sorts the problem.

Sounds like you have a bad connection to one of your commutator segments. When you rock the bike there may be enough drag through starter sprag to move starter to a good segment, hence it will start. Pull starter and run a multimeter around commutator 180 degrees apart and see if you have continuity,

I know this is an old thread, but I'm curious if anyone has this other issue. Sometimes when I start my bike it will turn over and then abruptly stop cranking. Usually hitting the starter again it will usually turn over and start normally. This happens more often than I like. I would compare it to suddenly coming upon high cylinder compression or high cylinder head pressure and the starter can't overcome it. It reminds me of the old days on my 500 singles where I had to pull the compression release to get it over the top of the compression stroke to kick start it. Other than that, my bike starts fine.

Since I installed the Battery Monitor I have noticed that the "trickle charger" does not necessarily provide the best resting state for my battery. Long term rest on the charger is not good for the battery. It does not warrantee a start. The Rocket just does not like to rest. I notice perfect resting voltages and poor cranking power reserves. After resting, the bike will turn and start but it struggles. Sometimes it gives the clicking thing, I rock the bike and it starts. Going to revisit the solenoid contacts. Waiting for the correct Lithium battery. Was sent the wrong power pole position item. Cleaning and retightening all cables. The starting loop on these bikes has to be perfect.

I just want a 100% reliable starting bike. It's a bummer to dress up for a day ride and meet a click click instead of the starting blast. The Magna does not have those problems. It can rest for a month and stat right up.

Last edited:
Back