Intimitant starting

I have been having an issue with starting the bike.
Battery is good, starter relay is good, starter motor is good, crank position sensor is clean, all connections have been well cleaned and re assembled.

What happens is some times I go to start the bike and it will fire up straight away just as expected.
Other times (totally random) ignition on, pull the clutch, hit the button, I hear the relay switch, I hear the starter solenoid activate, but the engine will not turn over.
If I put the bike in gear and "rock" the bike a little, it will start up straight away.

Can't figure it out, any suggestions ?
Paul there was just a long thread concerning this same thing and it ended up being the clutch switch. They are a simple plunger switch but it seems the ECU uses this switch to trigger at least 3 functions. I would send a link to the post but I'm not capable. Maybe Kevin can he's smart and knows things.

Paul there was just a long thread concerning this same thing and it ended up being the clutch switch. They are a simple plunger switch but it seems the ECU uses this switch to trigger at least 3 functions. I would send a link to the post but I'm not capable. Maybe Kevin can he's smart and knows things.
Yes, I had an issue sometime ago (can't remember what) and pulled the clutch switch apart, still had the problem so bought a complete new L/H switch unit (lever half) So am pretty sure that's not the problem, but will check it again to be sure.

Hi Paul, glad to hear you didn't get earthquaked ! @Mittzy and some of his mates, figured out its the starter relay under the right hand side cover. The spade connections get dodgy and don't send enough power to the solenoid to drive to pinion gear into the flywheel (I think that's why rocking helps). I had that problem for several years. Rebuilt starter switch, big battery cables, all the usual suspects. After I read what they found, I disengaged the terminals from the relay socket and cleaned and re-crimped them. I then cleaned the blades on the relay, then slathered them with die-electric grease and plugged back in. Hasn't done it since !
That Earth quake was only about 100Miles North East of here, but didn't feel anything, so all is good here .... thank fully !
The starter relay is new as well, but it's not hard to check the connections, so will do and see what happens.

a continuity test on ground. From battery ground to plug you should have continuity on that. second ohms resistance test. Third check for recieving power when cranking in ac

I would Gary its journeymans thread but this aint it he put a new switch in :whitstling: so back to brainstorming for the viking. 😁

I would Gary its journeymans thread but this aint it he put a new switch in :whitstling: so back to brainstorming for the viking. 😁
My bike 05 does the same thing and a rock back and forth starts it as well. Oh God maybe it's the fuel light switch not talking to the ECU that's not talking to the CPS thats not talking to the kickstand? Then I haven't checked the parking lights

Back