Flipmeister Saddle Bag stiffeners

Hardware color/finish options

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sidecar Flip

Living Legend
20150 Mc Carty Rd. Deerfield, Michigan 49238
Here's the skinny. I'm going to do a poll about hardware options and I need your input because of the variables. However:

The liners (stiffeners) will be fabricated from 0.125" HDPE (High density polyethylene extruded virgin). We all desire something 'virgin' right?:D I've researched many plastics. What I really like about PE is that it retains it's structural strength after heat forming (the liners will curve at the top and terminate just below the upper lip of the bag), eliminating the pucker that develops at the Velcro.

They will completely encompass the inside surface (looking down into the bag), not the bike side (which already has a stiffener) or the front (buckle side). I may do an insert for the front (buckle side) as well as I'm just doing a prototype set and fitting them to a set of new panniers that I borrowed for the occasion. There will also be a liner for lid. The liners will be black and smooth in surface finish.

Now the dilemma. The stock hardware the Triumph uses to secure the bags to the back PE stiffener as well as well as the buckle attachment is a nickle plated rivet. Because very few Captains have the capability of cold riveting the liners in, I'm going to use a specialty fastener that will attach the liners to the bags themselves and still allow you to remove the liners easily should you decide to take them out for any reason (I don't know why you'd want to do that), but you will be able to. These fasteners come in various finishes, hence the poll. My personal favorite is black (it will blend in with the black leather), but you decide.

I'll go with your input. Look at your bags and decide and then vote.

dilemma

a dilemma has reared its head flip. i guess i'll wait till i find out wether or not the t-bars will work with my corbin fairing before i order a set of one off clamps. sure would be nice to have em to keep the wiring/cables in place. my gut tells me i'll be ordering them though. i think a set of t-bars,clamps and fairing will be the dogs' howl for me. send the price.

greg:D

"Extruded virgin", you say? Large pencil erasers come to mind. :D Black fasteners, are they are hidden?? Black is good.

There has got to be a better manner to secure the fore and aft sections than velcro. The regularity of opening and closing the bags is not going to give the velcro much longevity. After only a year, my velcro closures are leaving me with much doubt. I open either one or both sides nearly on a daily basis, and often twice per day. It's either loading/unloading my lunch or swapping out outer wear [gloves, chaps, jacket, scarf, rain suit, cleaning cloths (micro fibre towels soak up a lot of water)]. I carry and often exceed the max (11#) per bag daily. The velcro is quickly showing signs of age: buckling or failure to adhere smoothly. Thank goodness for the under wire bra support in their old age. But the erasers will never stand out again. :D Is there an exercise that counter-acts this condition.

the pinch

the pinch workout procedure usually works. helps combat carpal tunnel syndrome also.
just say " I PINCH " and your work out partner will respond in the appropriate manner:D.

greg

I believe the problems with the Velcro, at least on my personal bags is that the front puckers and you have to squish the lid to conform with the puckered Velcro. I believe the design was supposed to just use the Velcro to seal the back and front of the lid not to actually hold it down. Of course the lid sags too.

There is virgin polyethylene and polyethylene that has recycled materials in it. The virgin stuff comes in smooth and textured and the stuff with recycled plastic in it comes only in textured. I'm opting for smooth to match the already installed back panel.

PE is very forgiving in low temperatures whereas ABS or polystyrene isn't. PE remains flexible and don't get brittle. That seems to be the ticket. We all don't ride in 80 degree weather all the time. PE is also more expensive, but you guys are worth it.

Dear Mr. Flipmeister,

I don't not have Triumph saddlebags on my bike. However, since the birth of my son my wife's bags seem to be sagging and after one year they have not regained their original shape. Will your product help her?

Signed,

Concerned rider and loyal customer

I believe the problems with the Velcro, at least on my personal bags is that the front puckers and you have to squish the lid to conform with the puckered Velcro. I believe the design was supposed to just use the Velcro to seal the back and front of the lid not to actually hold it down. Of course the lid sags too.

There is virgin polyethylene and polyethylene that has recycled materials in it. The virgin stuff comes in smooth and textured and the stuff with recycled plastic in it comes only in textured. I'm opting for smooth to match the already installed back panel.

PE is very forgiving in low temperatures whereas ABS or polystyrene isn't. PE remains flexible and don't get brittle. That seems to be the ticket. We all don't ride in 80 degree weather all the time. PE is also more expensive, but you guys are worth it.
Dear Mr. Flipmeister...However, since the birth of my son my wife's bags seem to be sagging...

BS, Pig9r! that's gotta b BS :D I want picture prooofs! :D

flipper? "... we don't ride in 80 degree weathe all the time..." Where you get that impression? for usz that keep yourn in heated barns it's not ridden so often.

Dear Mr. Flipmeister,

I don't not have Triumph saddlebags on my bike. However, since the birth of my son my wife's bags seem to be sagging and after one year they have not regained their original shape. Will your product help her?

Signed,

Concerned rider and loyal customer

Pig9r:

I'm not gonna touch that. Somehow, I just know that somewhere, or sometime I'm going to meet your wife and I'll never be able to introduce myself and maintain a straight face so I say......'no comment.:)

Back