Rockets letting me down.

Usually I turn the key off, but today with the idle problem it and just dies by itself and then I turn the key off. I usually never use the kill switch. The only time I don't use the key is when I put it in gear with the kickstand down by accident. Why do you ask?
Dave

I was going to see if you use the kill switch. Just another long shot, did you put any additional oil on the K&N prior to installing it?

idle recall?

No, on the idle recall. I didn't know there was one. I really don't like taking my bike in for anything. I don't trust most mechanics besides myself. But in this case I am not doing much better than "most mechanics". What does the idle recall entail. Dump in a new tune? If I had a tuneboy I could do that myself.
Dave

Does the idle speed electric servo motor,activate,or move? ,just another simple component to check,unplug and clean connection,refit and try. It should move the arm connecting to the throttle boodies on a COLD startup.

No, on the idle recall. I didn't know there was one. I really don't like taking my bike in for anything. I don't trust most mechanics besides myself. But in this case I am not doing much better than "most mechanics". What does the idle recall entail. Dump in a new tune? If I had a tuneboy I could do that myself.
Dave

I finally took mine in for this recall a couple of weeks ago. They told me that they were going to install a new tune, 20227 in my case, and check/adjust the throttle position sensor.

If you are getting Tuneboy you can load the updated tune and reset the TPS sensor. You can also check and see if your throttle bodies are balanced. I would suspect your TPS sensor is out of spec or bad. Check to make sure throttle cables aren't too tight also. Do you have a habit of touching the throttle when starting? Have you installed risers or changed handlebars?

Tom has also done some good posts. The first fix is the link to the Trat site.

Link Removed

Last edited:
Same Issue

I'm going to jump in here on this one as I have the same problem with the no start, very low idle (500-620 RPM) and dying but runs fine when warmed up accept for the very low idle problem.
I have communicated with TOMO privately and ran through the diagnostics finally taking the bike to Truimph. Even though the stepper motor is functioning (visually) the Triumph mechanic seems convinced it needs replaced. So I am waiting for the part. I think the stepper is OK with the poblem somewhere else.
I have also ran through the hoses, wiring, di-electric grease, throttle cable adjustments..etc..and have gotten no where....to include (this was suggested by mechanics in Atlanta) taking the stepper off and snapping the throttle several times to see if the throttle plates were stuck partly open..and they were apparently OK because this exercise didn't fix the problem.
SOOOO....knowing that the throttle bodies are in balance (via Tuneboy) tell us more about resetting the TPS with TuneBoy. Brian I have a direct memory (before all this low idle stuff started) that the bike would idle at 750 RPM or so and the TPS would read .7 on the Tuneboy screen. Now it reads .0 unless I physically open the throttle. Also, before Saturday morning three weeks ago when all this BS started when I cold started the bike it would start on the second hit of the button, go to high idle and back to the normal idle of 750 RPM or so. It no longer does this choosing to die. It does try to start but dies right away. Yes I have reloaded a different tune to no avail.
Sounds like we have about the same problem here...and I have no clue as to why the bike would be running that good and start doing this low idle and die BS....:mad:...SB

In Tuneboy diagnositcs if you click reset ISCV the TPS reading goes realtime and instructions will scroll on the bottom on the screen of what to do in each step. The sensor is very sensitive to pressure and adjustment so a delicate touch is needed. You need to loosen the sensor and rotate it very slightly to change the voltage output. Keep in mind too that when you tighten the torx head bolt on the sensor it will change the reading.

I did this thread afterward: http://www.r3owners.net/showthread.php?t=2142&highlight=reset+ISCV

Here are some other pointers from a Triumph technician: http://www.r3owners.net/showthread.php?t=2439&highlight=reset+ISCV

Back