Rockets letting me down.

triroketman

Supercharged
I just came in from a ride about 150 miles 70 degrees outside, was real nice. When I got back to town, the bike died at the stoplight. Caught me off guard, it was the first time it ever did that. Started right back up, but would not idle. When I let go of the throttle the rpm's would go down and the thing would die. The only way to get it home was to keep the rpm's up and not let go of the throttle. I made it home and thought I could maybe do a 12 minute tune, but it would not run unless you kept the rpm's over 1000.
The only thing I have changed recently is that I changed to an underseat K&N air filter. Today was the longest ride I have taken since I installed it. I was thinking of putting the old air filter back in and see what happens.
If you have any suggestions for me, let me know.
Thanks
Dave
06 Classic R&W

When it is running, does it have a hessitation when you tip in the throttle?
Check the vacuum lines from the throttle bodies to the MAP sensor. You may not have a good connection, or may have pulled one loose when changing the air filter.

Without more info, it is kind of hard to diagnose from here. :)

If you have TuneBoy, reflash the tune and check for correct Throttle Position Sensor voltage. Then reset ISCV (Idle Stepper). If you don't have TuneBoy, you're probably stuck with your dealer diagnostics. :(

in addition

I reinstalled the stock filter and the snorkel, then took it for a 20 mile ride but it did not seem to help any. It still runs real good at speed. I kept the revs up over 1000 rpm the whole time and when I arrived back at the house it idled at about 500 rpm for about 10 seconds and died. I will try to check the vacuum lines tomorrow. I have Tuneboy ordered but as of yet have not received it. Thanks for he help.
Dave

When you arrived home & did the 12 minute tune, did you allow the bike to cool off completely? The 12 minute tune, from what I understand, may only be done legitamately if the bike is completely cool, as in overnight. And remember, you cannot twist the throttle at all. I realize that with the 12 min tune, if the bike will not idle, the task cannot be accomplished.

Keep us posted as to the final results. See ya.

checked

I checked the vacuum lines to the MAP sensor and I could not find any disconnected or cracked. I put it back together and started it up I had to rev it up to get it to start. At idle it would sound like it would die any time at 500 rpm, then it went up to about 850 and ran like it always has. Then it would go back to 500 and chug along a while then back to 850. I don't get it.
Dave

shut bike off?

Usually I turn the key off, but today with the idle problem it and just dies by itself and then I turn the key off. I usually never use the kill switch. The only time I don't use the key is when I put it in gear with the kickstand down by accident. Why do you ask?
Dave

737 drill

with key in off position; roll throttle all the way back/open.then let go so throttle snaps shut of its' own accord. turn ignition key on,don't touch throttle,let bike turn over. if it starts,let bike idle till fan comes on.then leave bike at idle for at least 12/15 min. then turn off via ign. key. turn ign. back on,go for 30 min ride at up & down throttle(city/highway). this should clear it up. if not,you'll need to look at your throttle cables and be certain they have adequate free play. hope this helps:).

greg

Back