phar2slo

Living Legend
Ride
2006 classic
Hi all,

Had bike all loaded up to head away for a few days on the beast.

Two Kids at mother in-laws and wife and youngest to violin camp all I had to do was meet wife at the place set up the tent and I was free for a few days.

Wife was backing out of the garage while I put a moblie phone charger into the socket I thought that's strange the blue light didn't come on.

About 5 seconds later I hear a pop and I go s#it that's not good but it's only a fuse.

Tell the wife I will catch her up she goes why told her popped a fuse. She decided to wait for me.

Pull off the seat lift the cover off the fuses and see melted one was the hand warmer one pull it out in two pieces. put in new fuse and no joy.

So then I'm checking each fuse and find out the 5 amp one has popped too. So put new fuse in turn key on and starts to do the needle sweep and pop again. So pull that fuse and put in another and same thing.

This is all in the space of 4 mins as wife is already behind time. So I grab my bag off the bike with the clothes in it yell at the wife I will have to take the SUV go back into the house change out of the riding gear and on my way in the SUV as I said I will have to head back the 100 miles tomorrow to get it fixed.

Anyone have any ideas what went wrong. Apart from the obvious that I shouldn't have plugged in the lead.

Pretty sure the smoke lighter has melted wiring and will need to be replaced but will check it out when I get home.

There isn't a lot to go on by what you mentioned in your post but here is where id start.

Remove/disconnect any and all accessories you've added. I.e. heated grips, cig lighter. Etc and try again. You didnt mention how youve tapped power for these accessories. They should NOT be tapped into another fused system, but as an added circuit with its own properly gauged fuse.

cig lighter was attached to bike when I got it.

No heated grips fitted to bike.

And the fuse I think is the one that looks like this (.)(.) which I think is the park lights.

And to be honest it was the only 5 amp fuse in the box.

Does it have LED headlights? If so, were the parking light receptacles taped off or just stuffed back into the housings?

no LED head lights just the dull standard stuff.

Have spoken to a auto electric guy this morning and will get home tonight he will fix the short and get the horn working too.

This will give me a few hours to clean and polish the bike.

And the fuse I think is the one that looks like this (.)(.)

That fuse looks like a pair of boobs :roll:

Check out fuses 8 & 10, both 5A - what do you have in place of the other 5A?

upload_2019-1-15_22-40-38.png

Back