Sidecar Flip

Living Legend
20150 Mc Carty Rd. Deerfield, Michigan 49238
Well, my family crisis is about concluded and I'm back to designing and fabricating the Paddock Stand as well as the lift brackets.

The lift bracket uprights are at the laser cutter as I post this. They will be unlike the one sided brackets currently offered. They will be a double sided saddle with a removable pin so that the stress of the motorcycles' weight is distributed across a flat plane perpendicular to force applied by the motorcycle itself, that is, they won't cock sideways under pressure and they won't put a radial strain on the lift lug itself.

Best of all, they will be less than $40.00 USD per pair, plus shipping of course.

The Paddock stands (the first run) are just about ready to finish, that is paint and package.

I gave some long hard thought plus a few trial stands to finalize the drive arrangement. I kicked around a seperate handle arrangement but I finialized the design by broaching a 1/2" square drive hole in the 1/2" thick end cap. That way, you don't need extra parts around, you simply use a 1/2" drive breaker bar and a short extension to drive the stand. I wasn't sure about European markets but a good friend in England assured me that everyone uses the 1/2" drive for their socket sets. Problem solved.

The Paddock Stands will be about $15.00 USD more than the lift brackets, so it will be your choice entirely, depending on whether you have the existing hydraulic jack or the you want the complete stand.

They are all serial numbered and Rocky gets '01A'.:D

Attachments

• Paddockstand1.JPG
    Paddockstand1.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 367
  • Paddockstand2.JPG
    Paddockstand2.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 415
These solutions appear to be both simple and elegant, Flip. Congratulations and thanks for apparently solving a thorny problem in a quality way!

With a bit more detailed description of how the items are to be used (i.e., a set of user instructions) I look forward to being one of the first owners of your new products.

They will be on site as well as the lift aid saddles.

I remember last fall someone had one on E-bay of a different design that went through the roof in price and was subsequently pulled...I watched it.

I'm not an e-bay person but it is an option I guess. I had 200 cam plates and 200 gussets laser cut, enough for 100 units. I'm having 400 left and right saddle assemblies cut as well. That's enough for 200 complete units. They are being cut this week.

I suspect the Paddock Stands will be ready in a week or so (as soon as they come back from the painter) and the saddles will follow, the following week. Right now, the introduction is dependent on how soon the contractor gets the first units painted.

That way, if you already have the jack, the saddle will allow you ro pick up the bike witbhout placing any stress on the sump plate and if you don't have a jack, the Stand will allow you to do the same

Sorry, Flip, but I'm a little confused. You mention uprights, saddles, lift brackets, etc. It sounds like they are all separate parts. Then you mention something about using this with a motorcycle jack.

Can you clarify what all the components are? (with pics?)

There are 2 distinct products. The Paddock stand (which is pictured in it's not quite completed form) and the Lift Aid Brackets.

The brackets are for anyone with an existing hydraulic jack. They index in the lug holes, but unlike the existing (and offered by others) brackets, mine are actually saddles with a removable pin. I have all the engineering drawings and the parts are being laser cut this week so I don't have the finished product to show you.

The brackets currently offered (by others) are one sided with a welded in pin. Mine will be a double sided saddle arrangement with a pin, so you pin them on and lift the bike and there is no sideways cocking of the bracket, something I don't care for and I designed that out of the equation.

Soon as I get the parts in, I'll fab up numerous sets and take some pictures so you understand.

If you don't have a jack you use the Paddock Stand.

If you have a jack, you use the brackets.

I plan to offer the Paddock Stand / and-or Lift Brackets to fit other Triumph Models as well. All the Triumph's urilize the lugs below the back of the motor as an indexing point on the assembly line.

Back