The warning label says maximum weight 20 pounds. I have never loaded more than 10 pounds. The metal liner I made (for the outsde of the bag) took two hours to fabricate and install, and I have a well stocked shop. If this was not such a great bag in all respects except for mount strength I would have just tossed them out after talking to the snotty supervisor on the phone at Leatherlyke.

Only had mine a month and a half and very pleased with them.I Googled them to see all about them.Yes they had issues with cracking at the mounting side and the lock wasn't sturdy and came loose.A gentleman put a fix for these problems on the net such as metal reinforcement.Also the first ones developed for the Rocket needed a bumper to keep away from the rear shock springs made by an enterprising fellow out in Ca.Well,Leatherlyke has listened and reinforced the areas in question and added the bumper.I'm also looking at the trunk as well.

I am not aware of and I doubt that Leatherlyke has reiniforced anything, otherwise I would have purchased a replacement bag if it was guaranteed not to break. There is no metal around the mounting holes unless you put it there yourself, which takes a lot of time.

Hey BanjoBart I really hate to break your bubble about Leatherlyke,but I just finished getting all the lovebugs off my beast and bags,it's thier biannual orgy you see.Anyway when I first got them I thought I noticed some reinforcement where you mentioned but wanted to check and make sure I wan't suffering from CRS again.Took them off and looked inside where they mount and wouldn't you know to my surprise I wasn't.For anyones edification on the issue here is what I found.A strip of something .127X3.047X12.782 Hole location back hole 2.250 from end by 2.125 from top.Front hole 1.75 from front by 1.625 from top.That someting strip looks kind of like the same two piece coextruded polymer stuff the bags are made of but that is just a guess.I know the piece was cut with a carbide circular saw more than likely stacked pretty thick.Now this strip of whaterver is bonded with something again I don't know but has a pop rivet to hold the clamps strap.Now as to whether they are ISO compliant,again,I don't know.

Hosehead

I still like the Hoseyou company. Seems as though there are quite a few "Hoseyou" companies in business today. From one hoser to another.

I still like leather bags better. We live in a polymer world. Leather is natural and even stinks when damp. Just like me.

Last edited:
Well, I'll. be. Maybe they have improved in the last two years. I wonder why Hoseme Corp. (Leatherlyke) did not mention the bags are improved when I called last week. I would have rather given them my charge number for a new improved bag than fiddle in the shop for two hours instead of riding. Still, I may fair better with my own metal/plastic laminate now rather than the new Hoseme Corp. plastic/plastic laminate.

I will explain the reason I refer to this outfit as the Hoseme or Hoseyou Corp. When I called to purchase a replacement lower bag they asked me a bunch of questions and had me go look at the part number on the bag. They said I had the wrong bag for both my VTX 1800C's. I told them that they shipped me these bags originally when I first ordered and told them the model of bike I had. The bags I have are 3/8" off in mount spacing. So I guess it is my fault they sold me the wrong bag twice or had the holes drilled 3/8" off.

In any case their customer service stunk like a fish. Papa always said if it looks like a fish and stinks like a fish, something fishy is going on.

Bart:

How many dinaro's did the fake leather Hoseyou bags set you back?? The OEM leather ones are 800 dinaro's. Interestingly, I went out in the shop and peered inside (after you were talking about metal stiffners). The back inner side of the OEM bags are 1/8" hard plastic with 5 mounting points. The mounts are button head metric recessed hex machine screws.. I'm thinking I will remove them and get stainless metric studs and then cross drill them to accept hair pin clips so I can take the bags off to clean the rear of the bike easier. That's how Ed's Heritage Softail bags mount.

..let me resurrect this almost two year old thread..soooo..has anybody else bought these leatherlyke bags in the last two years???..are they re-invented or improved upon in any such way??..inquiring minds want to know as I'm thinking 'bout getting a pair for the red sled..they get rave reviews on the vtxoa board..customer service too..a couple of peeps even got new ones free after complaints of cracking supports..

..also..where do ya get those rear crash? dresser? bars that go in front of the bags..TIA..budman..:D

I put on a set of Traditional Leatherlykes on my R3C last night, and I am very pleased. They look good, and installation was a snap. It took about 20 minutes, including cleaning up the lube Leatherlyke supplies for the mounting studs. I think they are going to be a nice addition, and it is certainly handy to have a place to put stuff. I get the windshield in about a week, so things are coming together.

Nice addition, they may or may not be. If they haven't improved the mounts, they will crack at the mounting points. I know of 2 captains that had them stress crack.

Back