I said I would never do it, but...........

Thanks for doing the experiment and unbiased write-up. I had been reading the incredible amount of info and testimonials on DS and was considering the same idea. Try it and if I don't like it just take it off? I was not the least motivated by the cost benefit. Just curious and somewhat baffled how so many could be convinced otherwise? It just doesn't make any sense too me.o_O

I do love seeing everybody's ideas though, even if I don't get their reasoning, and since you did all the leg work including the great write-up I can use that time to do something to my ride that nobody else gets. Like maybe Traxxion front fork cartridges!:inlove OOOH YA! and Hagon Nitro's

Thanks again:thumbsup:
Darkside is not for everybody, as for me my rocket has 42,000 miles and 80% of those are dark side, i am 5'4" short and i have zero problems with maneuvering, at the same time i have seen 6'plus guys that can't handle it, like i said, not for everybody, on the other hand, my next tire will be an Exedra max, just to see if i remember what it feels like to ride on a motorcycle tire:D these were both of my bikes until i sold the red one last month,
dark.jpg

Ran the same with no problems. New front tire so went with the exadra Max on the back. Figured I will find out first had as to the Handling of running a 140/75R17 and a 240/55R16. Always looking for something better. Sometimes disappoint sometimes not. We shall see.:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Thanks for doing the experiment and unbiased write-up. I had been reading the incredible amount of info and testimonials on DS and was considering the same idea. Try it and if I don't like it just take it off? I was not the least motivated by the cost benefit. Just curious and somewhat baffled how so many could be convinced otherwise? It just doesn't make any sense too me.o_O

I do love seeing everybody's ideas though, even if I don't get their reasoning, and since you did all the leg work including the great write-up I can use that time to do something to my ride that nobody else gets. Like maybe Traxxion front fork cartridges!:inlove OOOH YA! and Hagon Nitro's

Thanks again:thumbsup:

I think for some purposes such as straight line acceleration and deceleration the Dark Side has an edge but the fact that in the twisties in particular it would be deficient makes sense. If it's so great why is there an entire industry built around motorcycle tires? We're willing to believe the science on everything else, the front rake geometry, weight balance and a million other intricacies but somehow when it comes to tires "the dark side of the force" somehow overrules science? What I learned from this thread (and many more like it) is that the "dark side" is an acceptable compromise to some riders. You get better straight line acceleration and deceleration and better economy on tire, that's where it ends.

No one, not even the deep believers has claimed it's better in turns, just "good enough". That's very telling. Many have also talked about it sticking in the groove of a street. That's behavior I hate in my car, definitely don't want it on my bike. Add to that the potential liability in accidents because you're using a non-approved tire and it makes it a bad deal, at least for me. I certainly wouldn't tell anyone not to do it. Your bike, your life, your choice brother. I also would never advise someone to go against tried and proven science. I get whey some guys do it and I was tempted myself, but when looking at the facts I have to go with what millions if not billions of dollars worth of research says.

Ran the same with no problems. New front tire so went with the exadra Max on the back. Figured I will find out first had as to the Handling of running a 140/75R17 and a 240/55R16. Always looking for something better. Sometimes disappoint sometimes not. We shall see.:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
Do you know that the red rocket is totaled now one week after i sold it back to Skip:(

That sucks. I mean really sucks. I liked that bike.
me too, he came back wanting to buy it back, his son inlaw had an encounter with a coyote in rural Oklahoma, he said the only thing salvageable was the engine, everything else was warped badly, the kid has a few broken bones but will make a full recovery

Last edited by a moderator:
I almost bit the big one a week ago coming home from work. Had the low beams on because of traffic and had a #ucking coyote jump out from the center divider. Realized it was going to clear the front tire but looked like a mid section hit. Dropped a gear and hit her hard. Next morning got up to find a chunk of meat and hair on the licence plate holder. Since then they have mowed the center divider which helps. Glad to hear he will okay but **** really liked that bike.:):):):(:(:(:(:(:(

I almost bit the big one a week ago coming home from work. Had the low beams on because of traffic and had a #ucking coyote jump out from the center divider. Realized it was going to clear the front tire but looked like a mid section hit. Dropped a gear and hit her hard. Next morning got up to find a chunk of meat and hair on the licence plate holder. Since then they have mowed the center divider which helps. Glad to hear he will okay but **** really liked that bike.:):):):(:(:(:(:(:(
Yeah, me too, the good thing is that the kid will live to tell the story to his grandkids, be careful out there:)

Please give us a report in a few months with some miles on it and you. Congratulations, and wish you well.

I'm sure it will work out fine for you, and as with most things in life, the devil will be in the details.

I have 2000 miles on my tyre and I am very positive. I have been experimenting with pressure and started way to low. Also discovered my fronttyres pressure was to low, the bike was sort of unstable and heavy on the steering. After correcting this and up the reartyre to 32 psi its great. Handles in most situations better than the Avon. The grip is unbelievable, also in rain. For my riding there is no going back :)

Back