Well you said don't knock it till you tried it.

Danny Gray

.020 Over
Ride
2008 Rocket III Touring, 2001 BMW K1200RS
Well I tried it and it is better then I expected. I put a General G Max 195/60/16on the rear of my R3T today and I am I'm impressed. It is replacing an Avon Cobra with a slight flat spot in the center, still had a good amount of rubber left. The General handles better then the slightly worn Avon. The rear brakes work better and overall a softer ride. It take a little more effort in turns but not much, it did not get in trouble when pavement was uneven. I have not experienced it trying to stand up when coming out of a turn. I guess I am sold on the Darkside idea.

As far as the r+r of the rear tire it is one of the easiest to r+r. I used one of my of Harley floor jacks and grabbed the rear frame with the outside part of the jack, then put two straps from the jack to the handlebars. Solid as a rock and no wood or adapters needed as bike sat level. no worrying about the front wheel moving because the straps keep the wheel straight. I will post photos of jack setup when I can.

Now that the tire job is complete I will be mounting Whelen TIR3 lights on the rear to make the bike more visible. This will be much brighter then standard LED's and Signal Dynamics Back Off setup. will have the option of steady burn or flashing with brake. I think I will do the flashing as it will really get the attention of vehicles behind you.

If you look close I used the right side of the jack to support bike the left side was not lifting anything. I only had to lift the jack about 1/3-1/2.

Attachments

• IMG_0956.JPG
    IMG_0956.JPG
    266.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0954.JPG
    IMG_0954.JPG
    259 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0953.JPG
    IMG_0953.JPG
    292.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0952.JPG
    IMG_0952.JPG
    282.7 KB · Views: 2
Now that the tire job is complete I will be mounting Whelen TIR3 lights on the rear to make the bike more visible. This will be much brighter then standard LED's and Signal Dynamics Back Off setup. will have the option of steady burn or flashing with brake. I think I will do the flashing as it will really get the attention of vehicles behind you.

Welcome to the Tyre Darkness!!!

Those flashing brake lights are great, you can watch the cagers in your mirrors jumping on the brakes!

But put a - say - five second timer on them, or you'll find yourself sitting at a stop signal with the flashing driving mad whoever is behind you.

Whelen TIR3 lights........... hmmm I'll have to check those out. Post a pic when you get them mounted if you don't mind.

Welcome to the Darkside.

Whelen is the cream of the crop if you can afford them. I use the Skene Design P3 Lights for rear flashers. I also have their Photon Blasters up front. Lastly, this past weekend I mounted the Intelligent Lighting Controller for my aux driving lights. All quality products.

Well I tried it and it is better then I expected. I put a General G Max 195/60/16on the rear of my R3T today and I am I'm impressed. It is replacing an Avon Cobra with a slight flat spot in the center, still had a good amount of rubber left. The General handles better then the slightly worn Avon. The rear brakes work better and overall a softer ride. It take a little more effort in turns but not much, it did not get in trouble when pavement was uneven. I have not experienced it trying to stand up when coming out of a turn. I guess I am sold on the Darkside idea.

Hmmm.....an interesting post. I don't recall the info about the tire and lights being posted before. Did a motorcycle dealer put the tire on the rim for you? Any issues with mounting and fender clearance? What about the weight and speed rating of the tire? I guess I'll have to do some more research on this project. Most tire mods have been geared to the R3R.

Thanks for the lifting pictures as well. I just bought a Craftman Pro Aluminum Lift and finished making my one of a kind lifting plate with adjustable floorboard bar lifting support posts. Every picture I see on the forum is useful.

Welcome to the Darkside.

Whelen is the cream of the crop if you can afford them. I use the Skene Design P3 Lights for rear flashers. I also have their Photon Blasters up front. Lastly, this past weekend I mounted the Intelligent Lighting Controller for my aux driving lights. All quality products.

+1 on skene

Back