Motorkote, general consensus and anyone use it? (I do)

Tennessee

.020 Over
Ride
2014 Triumph Rocket 3 Roadster
When I first got my 2016 Indian Roadmaster, a veritable beast of a bike, (weight wise), it was stiff in shifting and very hard to find neutral.
The Indian people said just have patience, with the 111 Cu. In. engine, the bike weighing in at over 900 lbs., and add capability of handling another 400+ of people and stuff, the clutch is very over-sized, and the tranny, six speed, is pretty stout.

So a lot of riders of these things, including myself, put in Motorkote in the oil. These bikes are belt drive, so no rear driveshaft.
To be honest, it made my Indian ride smoother, shift smoother, and I immediately started to find Neutral much better. Now with suitable miles on her, and through break in, I added a couple ounces to the new oil, and the smoothness continues. Indian large drive trains are notorious for having problems doing that first shift from 1st to 2nd when cold, and this helps with that a lot.

When I got my Rocket in June 2017, I noticed that it seemed to have a tiny bit of play in the drive train that I just didn't care for. I know, long ways from the piston explosion to the final gear at the rear, but I added about three ounces of Motorkote to the oil, and maybe one ounce of Motorkote to rear fluid, which was new oil from the dealer.
The smoothness was not complete, but it made a pretty big difference in shifting, and overall seemed to smooth out the whole thing. I know it is not a cure-all for anything, but Motorkote seems to be one of those that actually seem to work.

I'm not a big fan of putting anything in my oil, but finally got convinced to try it on my Indian, it worked, so I put it in my Triumph Rocket.
Anybody else use it? Results?
Thanks!

When I first got my 2016 Indian Roadmaster, a veritable beast of a bike, (weight wise), it was stiff in shifting and very hard to find neutral.
The Indian people said just have patience, with the 111 Cu. In. engine, the bike weighing in at over 900 lbs., and add capability of handling another 400+ of people and stuff, the clutch is very over-sized, and the tranny, six speed, is pretty stout.

So a lot of riders of these things, including myself, put in Motorkote in the oil. These bikes are belt drive, so no rear driveshaft.
To be honest, it made my Indian ride smoother, shift smoother, and I immediately started to find Neutral much better. Now with suitable miles on her, and through break in, I added a couple ounces to the new oil, and the smoothness continues. Indian large drive trains are notorious for having problems doing that first shift from 1st to 2nd when cold, and this helps with that a lot.

When I got my Rocket in June 2017, I noticed that it seemed to have a tiny bit of play in the drive train that I just didn't care for. I know, long ways from the piston explosion to the final gear at the rear, but I added about three ounces of Motorkote to the oil, and maybe one ounce of Motorkote to rear fluid, which was new oil from the dealer.
The smoothness was not complete, but it made a pretty big difference in shifting, and overall seemed to smooth out the whole thing. I know it is not a cure-all for anything, but Motorkote seems to be one of those that actually seem to work.

I'm not a big fan of putting anything in my oil, but finally got convinced to try it on my Indian, it worked, so I put it in my Triumph Rocket.
Anybody else use it? Results?
Thanks!

Not too sure that is compatible with our clutches...

Reminds me of Slick50.
That is NOT a great thought.
Over time it (S-50) clogs oilways. I have actually met the guy who invented it - at a classic car fair. He was honest enough to admit it does build up in narrow oilways.

But in Wet Clutch environment - NEVER NEVER NEVER use additives except MAYBE phosphate ester based compounds which help on startup where there is a possibility of poor lubrication. But on a modern engine I would simply use GOOD OIL.

Transmissions on rockets are notoriously clunky, and I'm sure that the gears would benefit from some of the additives on the market, but I've never used any sort of additive on a wet clutch. Like a lot of other folks I tried slick 50 in my truck in my youth, but never in a bike.

Not too sure that is compatible with our clutches...

That is NOT a great thought.
Over time it (S-50) clogs oilways. I have actually met the guy who invented it - at a classic car fair. He was honest enough to admit it does build up in narrow oilways.

But in Wet Clutch environment - NEVER NEVER NEVER use additives except MAYBE phosphate ester based compounds which help on startup where there is a possibility of poor lubrication. But on a modern engine I would simply use GOOD OIL.

All I know is that the Indian has a wet clutch, same as the Triumph.
Same thoughts as barbagris posted about wet clutches came up on the Indian forum, but now there are hundreds of Indian riders who use Motorkote in their engines, thanks to the forum, and not one report of slippage, excessive RPM, anything out of the ordinary save for smoother shifting.
And I have Motorkote in my Triumph and I must say, it smoothed out the drive train enough that I definitely noticed. Small amounts...couple ounces per quart of oil, one time only. One ounce in the rear.

I am not a scientist nor a chemical engineer, but a few people over at the Indian Forum stated that tests show that it does not bond to non-metal surfaces, so it would not stick to the clutch discs. Plates, I don't know, but I'll take the smoothness, and actually, I got about two more MPG out of the Indian. Hard to tell with my Triumph, the way I ride that bike! (I definitely don't ride my Triumph for MPG...) Supposedly, you only should add it in about every third oil change, so I won't be putting in anymore for a long time.

Infrequent shot treatments are often Organophosphate ester. They have their place. And it certainly SHOULD NOT influence freeplay. If a part is snagging the problem lies elsewhere.

But if you use the engine regularly (i.e. the oil does not gravitate to the sump) and use GOOD oil - it is not necessary, The R3 is a relatively modern engine. Will it harm? - Not sure tbh - I doubt it - but R3's are not Indians. I am not having a go - we have ALL tried stuff out and should. My Guzzi absolutely benefitted from Ester treatment. But it has a dry clutch. I don't know enough about the Indian blocks. But know that Harley blocks will run forever if you simply change the oil more often.

Does teh Indian clutch run in engine oil or do they have a separate gearbox oil in which it is bathed?.

Back