I said I would never do it, but...........

Is this the same tire?
ku_ecsta_ps31_pdpcrop.jpg
Khumo PS31
Are you sure of the size? 245 50 16 or did you typo instead of 225 50 16?

Last edited:
Hummmm?:thumbsdown: I have seen people adovocate for rear CT starting at 205 cm of width all the way to 245 cm of width.
The Raptor I am rolling does 806 rpm. 225 55 16
That is pretty slow.
How much does the stock MC tire make?
How wide a tire can one fit in the rockets rear end?
How much higher can one go on the RPMs?
It looks like the will of the bike to turn is inversely proportional to the width of the tire.
What is the optimum width/aspect for the Roadster?

... Just trying to learn how to choose my rear tire.

Last edited:
Hummmm?:thumbsdown: I have seen people adovocate for rear CT starting at 205 cm of width all the way to 245 cm of width.
That is pretty slow.

Use this calc to compare specs: Tire Size Comparison

Stock tire rolls 817 revs/mile. Yours is 1.2% less.

245 depending on the brand, some rub, some don't. I don't believe I've read of a 235 rubbing in any brand.

Not sure what you're asking here.

Sine it looks like the will of the bike to turn is inversely proportional to the width of the tire?

Yes the width affects this primarily, plus the model of tire. Some are just more boxy than others. My 245 Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 is about the most resistant to turn of anything I've read about. You can really feel it wanting to match the camber of the road sometimes, or feel it coming off and fully back on the pavement when maneuvering slow.

The 225/55 is the closest to stock. 235/50 is also extremely close to stock, but not as common.

A lot of people really like the handling of the slightly larger Exedra Max, a 240/55. I don't think there is really any car tire that will closely match that size, because the square shoulders of the tire would rub the fender/damage wiring.

Last edited:
That is pretty slow.
Sine it looks like the will of the bike to turn is inversely proportional to the width of the tire?

... Just trying to learn how to choose my rear tire.

My 245 rubbed on the stock wiring but wasn't an issue since I was up to a full tailtidy anyways. 5 in 1 core single trailer wire does the job beautifully :)

Well, my experiment is over - Darkside loses. I put on 1000km over the last couple of weeks riding 2 up and single as well as a lot of slow speed maneuvers. I spent 2 hours in a parking lot going through the drills I learned in the Advanced Rider course I took. Drills like slow speed turns in concentric circles getting smaller and smaller until you can't do it anymore. Figure 8's, weaving cones, veering, panic stops etc. All I can say is a dark side tire on this bike is like taking the power steering out of your car. When you read this thread or others on darksiding the arguments always seem to mention whether you can drag the pegs or take the tight corners. I took those corners without issue, the problems were the light easy corners. When the bike is fighting to remain upright. I can say that in all my days of riding I have never ridden tipped to one side driving in a straight line without wind being involved. Its like you had to lean bike over to a greater degree just to get it to move. A slight lean did absolutely nothing for turning ability. I have since removed my Yokohama and put a brand new Avon Cobra in it's place. My bike feels like it's lost 500lbs, that heavy slow feeling is gone. Could I have gotten used to it? Yes without a doubt, but why? I pretty much disabled my bike to try and save money, never going to happen again. It looked good on paper but it's not for me.I plan on hitting the twisties at Sturgis this year and I don't want to do it riding a bike that feels like a dump truck.

That was what I was waiting to hear. While the R3R isn't the most agile machine around she's still fun enough in the corners and living in twistie country I would hate to lose that. The loss of fine control by shifting weight etc. would particularly drive me nuts. While I was tempted by the Dark Side I must say I've seen the light and yours was hands down the most informative post on the subject.

I've been wondering the same thing.
Enough to drag, if you want to. Just don't "nail it" when hung over. But then, I didn't want to do it with a mc tire either. If you can break a tire loose in a streight line, you can surely do it on a lean. Got fishy once when a kid in a truck made a left turn across me from the right hand lane. Plunk pissed me off, so I cranked it when I saw leaned into the turn. Bike went about 90%across the lane and I snaked the bars back to the right and brought her back up. Startled me and gave the cagers around a good show. Feet never came off the floor boards.
Used to ride the twisties 2 up in az. Never had any problem hanging with anyone but some sport bikes much younger than me.

I went darkside yesterday. BF Goodrich 225 55. Sofar I have no complaints, rides great.

Please give us a report in a few months with some miles on it and you. Congratulations, and wish you well.

I'm sure it will work out fine for you, and as with most things in life, the devil will be in the details.

Well, my experiment is over - Darkside loses. I put on 1000km over the last couple of weeks riding 2 up and single as well as a lot of slow speed maneuvers. I spent 2 hours in a parking lot going through the drills I learned in the Advanced Rider course I took. Drills like slow speed turns in concentric circles getting smaller and smaller until you can't do it anymore. Figure 8's, weaving cones, veering, panic stops etc. All I can say is a dark side tire on this bike is like taking the power steering out of your car. When you read this thread or others on darksiding the arguments always seem to mention whether you can drag the pegs or take the tight corners. I took those corners without issue, the problems were the light easy corners. When the bike is fighting to remain upright. I can say that in all my days of riding I have never ridden tipped to one side driving in a straight line without wind being involved. Its like you had to lean bike over to a greater degree just to get it to move. A slight lean did absolutely nothing for turning ability. I have since removed my Yokohama and put a brand new Avon Cobra in it's place. My bike feels like it's lost 500lbs, that heavy slow feeling is gone. Could I have gotten used to it? Yes without a doubt, but why? I pretty much disabled my bike to try and save money, never going to happen again. It looked good on paper but it's not for me.I plan on hitting the twisties at Sturgis this year and I don't want to do it riding a bike that feels like a dump truck.

Thanks for doing the experiment and unbiased write-up. I had been reading the incredible amount of info and testimonials on DS and was considering the same idea. Try it and if I don't like it just take it off? I was not the least motivated by the cost benefit. Just curious and somewhat baffled how so many could be convinced otherwise? It just doesn't make any sense too me.o_O

I do love seeing everybody's ideas though, even if I don't get their reasoning, and since you did all the leg work including the great write-up I can use that time to do something to my ride that nobody else gets. Like maybe Traxxion front fork cartridges!:inlove OOOH YA! and Hagon Nitro's

Thanks again:thumbsup:

Back