I said I would never do it, but...........

Zonechamp

Supercharged
Ride
2009 Rocket 3 Standard
Over the past few years I've read enough Darkside threads, pro's and con's to drive myself crazy. So I said to heck with it and I am just going to try it for myself, if it sucks I'll just take it off. Being in Canada tires are expensive and not always available, not to mention I am 200km from the nearest bike shop. I went with the Yokohama S-Drive 225/55r16 which cost me $180 with taxes and installation onto the rim. Right now the Cobra would cost me $400 with freight and taxes, installation would be extra. My last Cobra lasted 15,000km, without having any experience I am hoping to get 30,000km out of the Yoko. So the math is pretty easy, the Darkside is less than 25% the expense to run the same distance. Other than the obvious shape of the tire the 2 tires match up not too bad.

Cobra $400 Yoko $180
Speed V Speed W
Actual width 9.3" for both
Diameter 25.6" 25.7"
Load 500kg 690kg

Because of where I live, there aren't any curves in the road. When I leave town the first curve in the road isn't for 25km, and it's an easy one. My Cobra was worn bald in the center section and less than 1mm was gone from the edges. Even the logo looked like new on the outer edge. I hit the corners on vacation or trips but in the grand scheme of things I just don't wear the outer edges. So with the Darkside I can't see why my tire life shouldn't significantly increase. With that being said my time spent on the edge of a Darkside tire should be minimal, so I shouldn't really wear out the edge where there isn't any tread. Hopefully the handling quirks are minimal. We will see......

Yokohama S-Drive 2.jpg Yokohama S-Drive.jpg Avon 15,000km.jpg

Last edited:
Correction: You will see!:unsure::cool:

The type of roads you frequent and your riding style is the best one suited to the square tire, IMO. Butt muscle memory is very short-term for most and many a rider can get used to just about anything we do to our bikes, so good luck and safe riding with your tire of choice!:thumbsup:

Planning on trying the dark side this spring. Just replaced stock tires with Avon's and like it. No wet roads yet but that is just a matter of time.Would really like to keep up dated on someone like yourself who is trying it for the first time. Per year average mileage is about 24,000 to 26,000 would be nice to have a tire that lasted a bit.

Welcome in the Dark-side !
I got mine from 25 000 km now and it will last probably to 35 or 40 000km .
And I never go back to bike tyre !
I paid mine ( Star Performer ) 80€ so 3 time longer ( expecting) and 3 time less expensive .
And strawberry on the cake , it's a mud and snow type : strong grip on slipery roads .

Three Rockets here. All darkside. Will never go back either unless I acquire a different lighter and less powerful bike. Imo there is not a tire made yet that accommodates the demands of an R3.

Welcome in the Dark-side !
I got mine from 25 000 km now and it will last probably to 35 or 40 000km .
And I never go back to bike tyre !
I paid mine ( Star Performer ) 80€ so 3 time longer ( expecting) and 3 time less expensive .
And strawberry on the cake , it's a mud and snow type : strong grip on slipery roads .
Hi @KildeRouge
How far can you lean in a corner before you feel you've reached the tyres limit?

Last edited:
Back