Darkside Debunked by YouTube Motorcycle Messiah

so that would fly in the face of every custom motorcycle project...am I missing something? Or is it just “what can be argued” and “what can you or the lawyer get away with?”

Any custom built vehicle must go through a state compliance & safety inspection in order to get a vin.
I did not speak to defective vehicle equipment issues, although they would/could apply.
My reference was to insurance companies - they are NOT your friend!

Tribal in response to the question you ask at the end of your original post, they do it because that is what do-gooders and professional hand ringers do. They are always out to save someone and get in another persons business. Look how many ridiculous laws are passed or regulations written and implemented (the latter most common) with the argument, "Well if it will save just a few lives it is worth it".

If there were a bunch of reports of car tires flying off of bikes and hurting the rider or an innocent bystander, than so be it. As you maintain, making a prudent choice of tire will prevent that from happening. And heck, several years ago I had a flat while riding on a Metzler Tourance, mounted on my VStrom DL1000 with the bead breaking and sending me into the oncoming lane on an Olympic Mountain road. If a car was coming in the other direction I wouldn't be here. One was not and I was able to come to a safe stop.

Geez but I long for the time in America when one could just live his life as he chooses as long as he wasn't hurting someone else.

From what I have seen, lies and truth, it does not appear terribly dangerous to run a CT under most conditions but I don’t want to loose the handling of a dedicated MCT..

Tribal you enjoy your own bike buddy, see you later this year.

It's official, Ryan has spoken to the masses and declared the Darkside deadly and put his own life in jeopardy to prove that it is an evil thing to do.

Finally, a definitive end-all experiment backed by seemingly knowledgeable scientific facts to single handedly end the debate and declare the Darkside outright dangerous.

Heed is warning gentlefolk - a Car tire can "Spontaneously Uninstall" itself from motorcycle rims.
Why? Because he says so and has a partial mathematical formula to support the theory (albeit without any supporting data of it ever occurring).

He closes with a message to Darksiders to "Let it go".
Case closed, verdict rendered and then Yoda beseeches you to follow Master Ryan and return to the light.

My reply is that he needs to "let go" of peoples wankers with this tomfoolery.

(((Actually, the fewer Darksiders the better. If it became too popular here MC tire manufacturers would hire
more lobbyists to get laws passed banning the practice like in other countries. SSHHHH!!)))

But on with the rant:

Q. What is his financial incentive for producing such an elaborate anti-DS 'experiment' video on youTube and would a bias towards the view of the majority (and MC business institutions) result in increased viewership and revenue?

A. It's a rhetorical question - just look under the video to see his merchandise for sale, let alone the YT Sub $$.

-Dictionary Definition of Bias: "Research bias, also called experimenter bias, is a process where the scientists performing the research influence the results, in order to portray a certain outcome.
Some bias in research arises from experimental error and failure to take into account all of the possible variables.

Other bias arises when researchers select subjects that are more likely to generate the desired results, a reversal of the normal processes governing science.

Bias is the one factor that makes qualitative research much more dependent upon experience and judgment than quantitative research.

Quantitative Research Bias:
Denial of any Bias

Qualitative Research Bias:
Acceptance and Acknowledgment of Bias.

For example, when using social research subjects, it is far easier to become attached to a certain viewpoint, jeopardizing impartiality."

It is clear he had a preconceived viewpoint and set up his so-called experiment to match said beliefs and thus exhibiting a qualitative research bias.

Some observations supporting this are:

1. That bike was not a good test vehicle choice.
2. Tire seems over-sized and wider than OEM. Why start there with a worst-case scenario?
3. Was the tire even balanced?
4. No way to tell the timeline but he may not have even broken the tire in.
5. Tire appears over-inflated.
Did he even attempt to make any adjustments to air pressure or shocks? Not in the video...
6. Again, it's hard to know the timeline but it doesn't look like he spent ample time (1,000 miles?) to adjust to the new tires nuances.
7. He sprinkles in a lot of scientific facts but shouldn't a scientific experiment include more than one test case?

Smoke and Mirrors Def: "An explanation or description that is not true or not complete and is used to hide the truth about a situation".
8. He focuses 90% of the Hollywood style shooting, editing and
zingers on the less than 5% differences most riders will experience.

9. Bait & Switch tactics: He takes on a passive-aggressive behaviour
luring unwitting viewers into thinking it is an unbiased experiment.

10. He counts on the trust of his standard followers that what he says is gospel. Sadly, from the thousands of comments it received he succeeded. He is praised for risking his life in the pursuit of truth and touted as a mechanical genius for using a kickstand to break the bead of a tire.

11. He completely ignores the fact that CT's are steel belted. If you select the proper tire, not only will it not pop off the rim, you almost can't get them off. It's easier to cut them off with an electrical cut-off tool.

It is physically impossible for a non-defective DOT certified tire to mysteriously jump off an outer lip but I do not have a fuzzy-math formula or theoretical diagram showing no amount of stress, strain or sheering from riding will cause it to fly off - even if it were flat.

Tip the scale(s) Def: "To upset the balance of a situation, such that one side or element is favored or gains advantage."
He leads the viewer directly to the documented "weak points" of the DS and exaggerates his limited experience to why it handles like "$hite".

He then uses the "I say Darkside is $hite therefore it is $hite" to put his thumb on the negative side of his Pros & Cons scale.

In conclusion, there is nothing new in this video and he is simply regurgitating the age old mistruths wrapping them in a glitzy cinematography of a pseudo-scientific experiment (of one).

I'm dumbfounded as to why anti-DS'ers will resort to name calling, shaming, lying and other bullying
tactics for something that has no impact on them - especially those with little to no actual experience.
darkside5.gif

Yep!
Jim, you have drunk the kool-aide. :rolleyes: :roll:
I have no problem with someone running a car tire if they wish, but your diatribe was factually way left of center.
PS: Jim does ride the hell out of that car tire. :thumbsup:

If he's the Messiah - the world is in a bad way.
Ha ha - Yes, I was mimicking his passive-aggressive, bait-n-switch approach to the topic and find humor in how his followers blindly reacted.

Not calling anyone out, but let's put this one to bed real quick before it spreads:

>>>>A CT grows larger at speed. (insinuating it could/would rub on a MC fender).

From the Famous Mickey Thompson Racers website:

"Mickey Thompson slicks will grow approximately 1 to 1-1/2 @ 150mph (Note: Radial slicks do not grow)."

We use Radial DS tires. Many use V-Rated Ultra-High Performance All-Season Radials from major brands.
They have radial bands of steel that result in strength and reduce the chance of blowouts.

Insurance is always in the back of my mind. BUT, A lot of us make mods that are way beyond original spec, so I doubt tyres would be the only card in the assessors hand :)
One of the original OLD GUARD in the UK declared EVERYTHING to his insurance and it was thus covered. Including iirc D/S. Other countries are NOT as relaxed.

Spain happens to be amongst the most restrictive currently. So much so that many dealers now hoard old original parts just to get their customers past the MoT.

Here's a fun one : A bike that originally came with open bellmouths on the carb's failed it's ITV (MoT) because the owner fitted high volume air filters.
A guy was stopped on an old old Bike for having loud exhausts - he was made to track down a set of originals - which being an open megaphone was 300% louder after.

IMG_0758.JPG 3826.jpeg IMG_0579.JPG IMG_0673.JPG IMG_1151.JPG 17570-r13-llanta-antares-ingens-a1-82t-D_NQ_NP_920425-MLM25416528790_032017-F.jpg img_3645.jpg IMG_0761.JPG

Application and skills are nearly impossible to factor in. For liability issues this due can't go against the grain. He will advocate for other mods but will not touch the tyre stuff. If you are going to Alaska or cross-country, get a new CT. Less chance of a puncture. Will not need a replacement rear tyre until you come back, You will not get stuck in Leakey waiting for a tyre to be delivered. The bike will carry the weight of extra stuff on the rear better. Get an extra rim for 2 or 300$ and have your CT on it. Play with the inflation pressures. Just like a pair of new shocks, they will require tweaking.

Slow down. If you are going to be going 100mph +, get a new Cobra or Exedra. If you have any common sense, use it or we will end up like our Auzzie friends… obliged by the government to follow stupid rules. Learn to feel the limit of your traction range. Find a nearby day track to satisfy your craves for cornering at high speed. The wider CT looks Kooler but counteracts the front tyre more. The narrower CT turns better and does not want to tilt the bike over on little ledges or rocks on the road. If you wana go off road, get a BMW and park the Valkyrie.

I have personally seen MC tryre failures. Never seen a CT tyre failure while mounted on a MC. Have seen CT failures because the driver has never seen a tyre pressure gage. Seen some severely deflated MC tyres too.

Last edited:
Yep!
I have no problem with someone running a car tire if they wish, but your diatribe was factually way left of center.
PS: Jim does ride the hell out of that car tire. :thumbsup:

Most odd. I thought he was spot on in his analysis, especially on the types and motivations for research. And I must be candid Steve, but why would you have a problem with someone else running a CT, or not?

Back