New Darksided Touring - Skidding without ABS (normal?)

Jay

E pluribus unum
Ride
2023 Rocket 3 GT (Ego), 2021 Zero SR/S (Earth)
I just DS’ed my 2013 R3T with a Bridgestone Driveguard 205/70R16 based on the favorable reviews by other R3T owners who DS’ed. I set up the tire with 28 PSI and test road. I then pumped it up to 40 PSI and road. I would let a little air out and adjust the suspension until I dialed in the combination for my weight and riding style. I did over 200 miles on the tire today to “scrubb it in.”

in all cases, I find the rear tire skidding when stopping and not engaging the ABS. Is this normal?

Last edited:
I did another 150 miles on more curvy mountainous roads, at a spirited clip. With the tire warmed up, it really works great through the turns and I hardly noticed the difference in the dynamics except when it wanted to correct to center in slower speeds.

However, after 350 miles, I am still not seeing the rear engage the ABS and I am able to skid the tire when stopping at lights. I can get the front to engage the ABS, so I know it is working.

I had tried the 205 in the rear and did not like it at all . Installed a 195 /55/16 Bridgestone with 34 lbs in rear . Feels like I'm riding a bike tire . There is less of a flat for the width and with you lean you don't really feel the flat from on side to the other . Just my 2cents . Enjoy yourself .

I did another 150 miles on more curvy mountainous roads, at a spirited clip. With the tire warmed up, it really works great through the turns and I hardly noticed the difference in the dynamics except when it wanted to correct to center in slower speeds.

However, after 350 miles, I am still not seeing the rear engage the ABS and I am able to skid the tire when stopping at lights. I can get the front to engage the ABS, so I know it is working.
I thought if you had ABS you could not lock up a wheel. That is the point of ABS isn't it? I hav'nt had my ABS engage either but as far as i know i have not skidded yet. I have asked myself if it works though!

I thought if you had ABS you could not lock up a wheel. That is the point of ABS isn't it? I hav'nt had my ABS engage either but as far as i know i have not skidded yet. I have asked myself if it works though!
That’s what I thought too. I am wondering if the tire compound or profile is affecting the ABS sensitivity. The tire is harder than an MC tire so I expect some differences. I have read that some European bikes with traction control are dialed in with a specific brand and compound so switching tires affects the software. Not sure if the ABS on Triumph is this way though.

Didn't guys have trouble with abs when running smaller diameter front tires, 130s ? I'm thinking maybe the abs monitors speed difference between front and rear tires, I kinda remember discussions about tire diameter.

Didn't guys have trouble with abs when running smaller diameter front tires, 130s ? I'm thinking maybe the abs monitors speed difference between front and rear tires, I kinda remember discussions about tire diameter.

U sir r correct the difference would trigger a code and turn on check engine light then abs would not work.
Of coarse now i can,t remember the op or the problem lol

Back