Best Ramp

I have to agree with @TriumPhil, I've only hauled a bike one time, but I used a 6X12 utility trailer. It also hauls my lawnmower and many other projects that makes it indispensable around the house. Ramps only have one use and you can probably pick up a utility trailer for around the same price as ramps. I know that's not the subject, but a different viewpoint.
To each his own. A good riding buddy (who had the first Rocket I'd ever come across, and is the reason I bought mine) got sick and tired of his gorgeous enclosed trailer sitting idle for many months, taking up a fair bit of space on a residential lot, and then find a storage place when he arrived at wherever his destination would be. He sold it and never regretted it. YMMV.

I agree with all the comments about enclosed trailers. I have one, and always have mixed feelings about it.

I'd rather haul the Rocket in the trailer instead of my pickup bed, every time, no comparison. That said, I continually think about selling the trailer. I hate how much space it takes up. 98% of the year it is nothing but a small storage unit that gets in the way. But man, those few times per year, including when I want to trailer the bike, it is just invaluable.

So, we'll see. I'd completely understand someone going either way.

To each his own. A good riding buddy (who had the first Rocket I'd ever come across, and is the reason I bought mine) got sick and tired of his gorgeous enclosed trailer sitting idle for many months, taking up a fair bit of space on a residential lot, and then find a storage place when he arrived at wherever his destination would be. He sold it and never regretted it. YMMV.
You are correct, in a residential setting with limited space it could be an eyesore. Mine sits beside my barn, beside my truck and trailer. And is used quite a bit. It is not an enclosed trailer, but an open tilt trailer with a mesh floor. It was just an option for something of like value that might be usable for more than one task.

Thank you. The diff between 9 & 10 feet, other than 40$?

Well, if you are loading onto a surface 3 foot above the ground, a 9 foot ramp will provide a 19.5° climb angle. A 10 foot ramp a 17.5° climb angle.
Would need the wheel base and ground clearance for your bike to see if it would clear the transition from ramp onto truck bed.

Well, if you are loading onto a surface 3 foot above the ground, a 9 foot ramp will provide a 19.5° climb angle. A 10 foot ramp a 17.5° climb angle.
Would need the wheel base and ground clearance for your bike to see if it would clear the transition from ramp onto truck bed.

Did you take the ramps's 2 degree convexity into consideration? I failed trigonometry. Wheel base 8 feet.

Did you take the ramps's 2 degree convexity into consideration? I failed trigonometry. Wheel base 8 feet.

I did not. Good word, convex!
That obviously helps to mitigate the sharp entrance angle. Using a radiused ramp with 8 ft WB, unknown bike clearance and unknown loading height would require me to use my CAD program to dope out. Give me the ramp radius, length, load height and bike clearance and I shall mess with it.

Using a radiused ramp with 8 ft WB, unknown bike clearance and unknown loading height would require me to use my CAD program to dope out. Give me the ramp radius, length, load height and bike clearance and I shall mess with it.
And to think just a couple weeks ago you implied you aren't 'puter literate… o_O

Ahh, your forgetting Steve is 'old school'. His 'CAD program' is preposterously pseudo and all PR - paper, pencil, protractor, Pythagoras and ruler. The only digital bit is his 10 fingers.;):D

I saw a set up that thieves used to steal bikes. They had a marine derrick some of the big boats use for hoisting the dinghy in and out of the water. That struck me at the time as the ideal for my bike hauling. I sold the pickup before I ever did anything with it.

When I had to load my bike, I would find an industrial load place so the truck bed was even with the dock, and ride the bike up the ramp of the dock and then onto the truck bed. I'm such a wimp.
and how did you unload if there was no loading dock??

If you know your destination you can count on a ramp but, I might end up unloading and loading solo wherever. I like the trailer too, enclosed or not. The best I have used is the UHaul MC trailer. Its like $15 per day. Not bad. Very rigid and stable. Makes for a good camping tent set up off the ground. Would buy it for the right price.

To all who have responded and answered my questions with experiences, I am 50/50 on the buy. As far as safety; if people were falling like flies using these ramps, the attorneys would have eliminated them. The designs look simple sturdy with good welds. The main con is the loading and unloading risks. I will decide soon and post some pics
Thank you

Back