Best GPS ?

One thing to keep in mind is if you get a GPS that has Bluetooth capability (such as Garmin and maybe others) you can get an OBD plug that will communicate different parameters from the bike to the unit. Things like % of throttle, coolant temp, intake air temp and a few other things I can't think of right now. GPS can be much more than a map. ;)

bob

DO YOU HAVE A DECENT "SMART" PHONE? - If so just download OpenStreetMaps. The maps are stored locally so all you need is the GPS sensor on the phone. And even Google now allows downloading routes for offline use. You could also connect to the ECU if you really want to.

My work supplied phone is IP68 waterproof - has a huge battery and is more powerful than most satnavs. And much though it pains me - can be used to call people. I don't have a personal phone - and wont. About 150 bucks - Chinese of course.

If not - well there is the system that we oldies used for ages. A Map and the ability to ask gentlefolk for assistance.

Last edited:
We are MEN, we do not ask for directions, it is the law. ;) :) bob
I was born to be an Englishman. We give and receive directional information based on pub names (along with advice on Food, Drink and every so often Barmaids) If they have Curry, Draft Cider and sultry bosomy Brunette - I will honestly continue to break the MAN law. Venison burgers, Fullers London Pride and Blondes are fine too. I'm even OK with sausages and mash with Hall&Woodhouses seasonal ales and spicy redheads (without too many freckles). Ringwood ales - are food and frankly after a couple of pints - I can't focus.

Last edited:
You can a Garmin Zumo 550 on eBay for $200. I have dual mounts so I can swap it between the R3 and car. I've had one for… at least 8 years. I keep wanting to replace it with something more modern but the thing just keeps on going. It doesn't have all the latest features but it's waterproof and you can still get all the latest map updates.

NEW 5.0" Inch Waterproof GPS Sat Nav 8GB Bluetooth FM Motorcycle&Car Latest Maps
Lots of photos and specification details for the techies to digest. Claims to have Maps available on request Would need to check first as only UK Western Europe mentioned directly.
CHEAP AS CHIPS though for a trial.

Waterproof 5" Motorcycle GPS US$116
NEW 5.0" Inch Waterproof GPS Sat Nav 8GB Bluetooth FM Motorcycle&Car Latest Maps | eBay

Au$157
NEW 5.0" Inch Waterproof GPS Sat Nav 8GB Bluetooth FM Motorcycle&Car Latest Maps | eBay

£91

Google Navigation app - best in existence. Buy a smartphone off ebay/whatever and use it, run a USB charger that is on accessory power to keep it charged. Let it connect to home wifi and download all the maps in the area you ride. Done :p

Better yet, use a smartphone with a data only plan, and get traffic updates, route advisories, etc

Google Navigation app - best in existence. Buy a smartphone off ebay/whatever and use it, run a USB charger that is on accessory power to keep it charged. Let it connect to home wifi and download all the maps in the area you ride. Done :p
Better yet, use a smartphone with a data only plan, and get traffic updates, route advisories, etc
Get a RUGGEDISED PHONE with HUGE battery. The Chinese have seen the niche.

Back