Best Flyscreen art or paint work?

Ishrub

That's my name ....built like a truck
Ride
2x2010 ABS Roadsters, Sprint ST 1050 ABS, 3x250s
I'm going to kick this off with another of my 'Pop's Pills' weirdness moments!;):roll::roll:
How very apt for a Rocket a Herd of Charging Elephants!;):cool:
Tonights score a $20 epic themed flyscreen in the making!

Copper sheet relief pressing. Frame size 90 cm x 67 and the Elephants are about 50 cm wide so the central one should fill the width and work well with the flyscreen's hump.
Easy peasy to peel and sheath a stock or custom flyscreen
Elephants charging 1 (2).jpg
Elephants charging 1.jpg

I will have to get one of these for my rack now too! ;):roll::roll::roll::roll:
1644494387743.png

Yep apparently that is what an Elephants tail tip looks like!
Any more weirdness or classy stuff out there?
I nearly bought this real JAPANESE NOH THEATRE HANNYA DEMON MASK
but some one wanted it more than me. Went for Au$375 (US$265). Balinese versions are much , much cheaper and just as elaborately carved but do not have the patina of this lacquered type.

Japanaes devil mask.jpg

Last edited:
OK, change of plans. The three charging elephants are a separate thin copper sheet glued onto the background copper and when prised off was full of modelling bees wax. Sso it was good it didn't get stuck on as is. In our sun in would be a puddle of wax everywhere by morning 'smoko'.
The backing sheet ias 24 gauge copper and weighs 2.85Kg (6.3ib). I put it over a laundry tub full of water and melted the wax remnants off with boiling water and will do the same with the elephants before replacing with a better filler/resin to support the relief work etc.

With the wax still in place and covered with plastic film I reshaped the elephant section over a Giant XL fly which is clearly the wrong background colour.
The heavy 24 gauge back ground sheet is really too heavy to reform easily over the XL fly so another option needs to be explored for the Black gelcoat finish.

They actually scaled reasonably well I thought but more work needed on the merge.

Elephant flyscreen 1.JPG
Elephant flyscreen 2.JPG
Elephant flyscreen 3.JPG

To be honest I only bought the item for the frame originally to mount a knife display as it was a horrible wall piece.
Now a great copper sheet even if the elephants get scrapped after all the fun!

Maybe I'll get a custom plate HOE (Herd of Elephants) and take off the Triumph badges so when they ask "What type of bike is that?" I can say back ..............."She's a Hoe, but I love her!" ;):roll::roll::roll:

Last edited:
I'm going to kick this off with another of my 'Pop's Pills' weirdness moments!;):roll::roll:
How very apt for a Rocket a Herd of Charging Elephants!;):cool:
Tonights score a $20 epic themed flyscreen in the making!

Copper sheet relief pressing. Frame size 90 cm x 67 and the Elephants are about 50 cm wide so the central one should fill the width and work well with the flyscreen's hump.
Easy peasy to peel and sheath a stock or custom flyscreen
Elephants charging 1 (2).jpg
Elephants charging 1.jpg

I will have to get one of these for my rack now too! ;):roll::roll::roll::roll:
1644494387743.png

Yep apparently that is what an Elephants tail tip looks like!
Any more weirdness or classy stuff out there?
I nearly bought this real JAPANESE NOH THEATRE HANNYA DEMON MASK
but some one wanted it more than me. Went for Au$375 (US$265). Balinese versions are much , much cheaper and just as elaborately carved but do not have the patina of this lacquered type.

Japanaes devil mask.jpg
Ah, I remember those. They usually had a selection of different scenes of the big 5 in different poses, to sell to tourists.
My last visit to the Addo elephant park I almost bought one of these to bring to Oz, before I migrated here. But they don’t travel well. The more modern ones were made from plaster of Paris type material, so where prone to chipping.

Ah, I remember those. They usually had a selection of different scenes of the big 5 in different poses, to sell to tourists.
My last visit to the Addo elephant park I almost bought one of these to bring to Oz, before I migrated here. But they don’t travel well. The more modern ones were made from plaster of Paris type material, so where prone to chipping.
I can put mine back together and send it to you if your keen!;):roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:

He was as they say 'Prolific' and 'Commercial' so examples abound.
Dennis Thompson did them in Zimbabwe according to the label and 'signature' on the sponge and painted copper sheet background. The tooling work on the copper elephants scene is probably done with a pressing off a master and then finished by hand (that is how I would do it if I was making multiples).

The background heavy copper sheet has a very nice 'hammered' early 20th C 'Arts and Crafts' look edge and a dated tacky machined starburst effect with a sealed polished surface.
The remaining horrible contact cement looks like it will peel off without damaging the surface so It would back a good start for another project.

Looks like folks in SA may still want or sell them but at Rand 3000 or Au$275 I will not be adding to my exclusive 'Tetse' designer collection of African themed Flyscreens.;)

This series was the GIANT size apparently. Here is another of my version that is actually the same design on a smaller backing sheet. I suppose copper prices and Zimbabwe's economic crunches reduced the GIANT size just like those sneaky smaller boxes of breakfast cereal at the same price.
1644802951527.png
1644802988083.png
1644803036830.png

LITTLE ones:​

DENNIS THOMSON AFRICAN ART PLAQUES COPPER ART ZIMBABWE​

Dennis Thompson art.png

This is a set of three rare copper "pictures" originals by Dennis Thomson,a noted Rhodesian artist. These plaques represent the Lion,Kudo and African Elephant all in detailed copper mounted on hair. These were purchased in the mid 60's. The frames are 6 x 7 1/2 inches,made of wood and all three have the original Dennis Thomson label on the back that tell about the animal on each plaque. Very,Very nice pictures. Thanks for looking.

OK, we are back on a normal' track for a while.

Here is a Black gelcoat fibreglass slightly smaller version of flyscreen (see photo below with a stock clear Sport flyscreen on top). They have 3x M6 threaded bosses on the rear and I made a simple bracket system to adapt to our stock Flyscreen brackets.

1645361030349.jpeg
P1060170 (1).JPG
P1060171 (1).JPG
P1060172 (1).JPG
P1060173 (1).JPG
P1060174 (1).JPG

I have another aftermarket carbon fiber Triumph Speed Triple style that I did a similar bracket fit to work with the stock flyscreen brackets.
These came with 4 holes and I had some bolts and black small alloy paddock bobbins to raise the edge to clear the stock brackets they worked brilliantly.
P1060182 (1).JPG

I'll take some photos of them both mounted on the Roadster tomorrow.
The CF one fits fine and the curve on top half covers the chrome instrument pods.
P1060177 (1).JPG
P1060178 (1).JPG
P1060180.JPG

Last edited:
Years later these same smaller M6 Bobbins and the larger M8 Allen cup head bolt Bobbins and are still available for wait for it............................................................................... just £1.00 (Yep US$1.36c) a pair from UK Squaredeals!
I posted these deals a long time ago and they are still there in multiple colours too!
Very handy for the 'spares/odds/sods' cupboard, you never know when you can use them.

1645368832483.png

DAYTONA 675 Upto 2009: Cotton Reels - Paddock Stand Bobbins. Black M6 1 Pair CLEARANCE!​

1645368784562.png

DAYTONA 675 2010ON: COTTON REELS - PADDOCK STAND BOBBINS. BLACK M8 1 PAIR. CLEARANCE!​

Back