Best GPS ?

I love the Garmin GPS's and have three of them, I think while some are not cheap they are worth it, I have tried El Cheapo (Aldi branded one) once it was last seen on the side of the road somewhere in Tassie after I gave it a backhander. the Zumo's have different models I chose the 395 because it is more compact and didn't have crap I dont want like music player etc but it does have trip logging a optional tire pressure monitoring TPM ( you just have to buy their tire valve caps) the Zumo 395 is water proof I don't have to worry about covering it up even in torrential rain, oh yeah I have even tried the "smartphone" which was great till I lost reception coverage and it went blank from getting too hot.
Another thing I like is the Garmin Zumo 395 LM (I actually get reminders on the Home Computer if their is a software or map update available) reminds me if I have not updated recently free life time maps glove friendly can be easily seen n almost all lighting conditions, I don't want blue tooth been there done that, all I want to ear is my bike, it also comes with full ram mounting hardware and can be hard wired into bike, if needed you can use the second mount it comes with so you can transfer it to car without having to remove bike mount it has suction cup and a cigarette lighter plug
I was so impressed with it I went and bought the Nuvi (cos I wanted a much bigger screen for in the car) for the car and I also use a Garmin 62sc handheld for hunting

Good first hand feedback on the Zumo. It's actually got my attention now that I found the accompanying app from garmin, hard to justify for me though, as I rarely strike out with a destination in mind, and if I do it's only a day trip.

Maybe when I'm not on active duty and can randomly set off on 2-3 day trips when the mood strikes!

Maybe when I'm not on active duty and can randomly set off on 2-3 day trips when the mood strikes!
I bought mine while on active duty and found it ideal for short impromptu trips, even just an evening after work. I'd have it running without a route while I explored randomly. Then as mentioned before, while riding I could easily identify something interesting in the distance and mark it for later or immediately route to it. Looking for gas or food with a couple (gloved) taps. Seeing elevation and other stats a button press away. Navigating home with a tap from wherever I ended up.

As discussed there are other ways to accomplish most of this. But it just works so well, I've never questioned owning it for many years now. I find it ideally suited both to long trips and random exploring.

I ride to get lost, which in a small state like New Jersey is impossible to do for more than about a half an hour. As long as I can see the sun, I'm good to go or to get back to "civilization". ;)

Last edited:
I set my ultimate destination then I ride wherever I have a notion...I have a general idea which direction I need to end up in, but there's all sorts of alternate routes to see.....the GPS will forever recalculate to get me there eventually. If I do a really long trip I will do prerouting, where I tell it where I want to go, and use intermediate waypoints to force a desired route.

I bought mine while on active duty and found it ideal for short impromptu trips, even just an evening after work. I'd have it running without a route while I explored randomly. Then as mentioned before, while riding I could easily identify something interesting in the distance and mark it for later or immediately route to it. Looking for gas or food with a couple (gloved) taps. Seeing elevation and other stats a button press away. Navigating home with a tap from wherever I ended up.

As discussed there are other ways to accomplish most of this. But it just works so well, I've never questioned owning it for many years now. I find it ideally suited both to long trips and random exploring.
Same here mine is on every time ignition is on it also acts as an accurate Speedo great for Avoiding tollways in city areas as well

OK Since no one else mentioned it I will do it. If your looking for a relatively inexpensive GPS, go for a Garmin NUVI with a good mounting system. Don't worry about that "Waterproof" and "Vibration proof" crap. I can assure you that I've been riding with NUVI's for more then 10 years with absolutely no problems at all, and best of all is that they are cheap and easy to find EVERYWHERE. The Garmin ZUMO is so friggin expensive, it makes no sense... They all use the Same Operating System and other then the before mentioned stuff, not worth it in my opinion. You can buy 8 used or refurbished Garmin Nuvi's for the price of one of those Zumo's. I've been riding with Nuvi's for years and they simply work great in all conditions. If it rains, I usually just toss a bag over it, or just put it away in my pocket. I have mine hardwired into the battery with a hotwire so it turns on with the ignition. No worry about draining the battery or anything.

The new NUVI's have some great features like a tablet, like instant on and horizontal and vertical navigation. Go to RAM Mounts website and look for a nice handlebar solution for mounting and get yourself a nice Nuvi in your price range and ride. Don't give in to that Zumo nonsense, you'll be overpaying for nothing unless you really do ride in the rain for hours and hours at a time and want to navigate in the rain o_O

Alternatively, you COULD use something like an android or iphone for navigation but I find the screens too small and require something other then a glove to operate... Nuvi's work perfectly with gloves.

Ricochet is right..

Garmin Nuvi and don't even worry about water proof. Pack you a zip lock bag and if rain is looking possible - wrap it in the bag.

Since no one has said it... Let me...

DO NOT USE A CELLPHONE FOR GPS! lol

Here's why... No cell phone service, no GPS.... You wouldn't believe how many directions I've given to drivers that's using their cell phones. Where I'm from - there's not much cell signal in the boondocks where the best rides are...

Going to the dragon? Better not plan on using a cell phone GPS unit... No service for the majority of the day.

I picked up a Nuvi 5", some RAM mount parts, and went to town. Awesome having GPS - the downside - bluetooth to helmet doesn't work... Wrong bluetooth protocol

No cell phone service, no GPS
In fairness, this isn't always true. You can get apps that store the map data on your phone, and your phone receives GPS signals without access to the cell network. But yes, for most people who don't know this, Apple or Google Maps will be useless when you lose signal.

In fairness, this isn't always true. You can get apps that store the map data on your phone, and your phone receives GPS signals without access to the cell network. But yes, for most people who don't know this, Apple or Google Maps will be useless when you lose signal.

Absolutely right but most people have their phones full of too much crap for the map data but it works. But for $130 you don't have a dead phone when you need it or an overheated phone in the sun that stops working (both happened to me)

Here's why... No cell phone service, no GPS....
Well that's bollocks.

For ages I used an old cellphone with no phone card - with open streetmaps installed. And apps to give me GPS speedos.

If you expect to use GOOGLE then you need data that's another matter. Though even Google will now work with out a cell-data feed if you tell it to.

But the GPS receiver works independent. If you have A-GPS and/or the Glasnos/glosnas (Russian GPS) as well, you will always get an accurate position.

Also - I have found that most of the phone shops have a box full of "old" phones that have come in as trade-ins - they're usually happy to sell you one at close to scrap value as they're going for recycling anyway.

Oddly yesterday a mate was ranting about Garmin. The sent him a mail offering lifetime maps for his device. After registering/paying they now say his device wont accept them. So far he's been waiting almost 3 months for a rebate. I have an OLD TomTom I bought for the car - but never use it. I use maps and a scrap of paper that has road numbers and major towns - If I get lost I ask.

I keep the work phone connected to a power source in the topcase. Hateful nasty things.

Last edited:
Back