Best GPS ?

OK for you people who are adament on having a Cell Phone device (Android) for using for maps and navigation, yes you certainly can get offline maps and stuff on those devices... But don't buy some old piece of garbage, there are some really good alternative android phones out there from Chinese companies that really are quite incredible for the price you pay for a new one. For example, if you want a good sized high resolution android phone to use as a GPS or tablet you can buy a CUBOT branded android phone for less then $80 if you wanted. Fully functional, Fully operational brand new phones that can do anything a brand new Samsung phone can do. The only differences are that you wont be getting a top notch camera and huge internal memory but they let you use a SD card so you can upload all your maps information if you want. I've been using a Cubot 5.5" HD phone as a Digital Speedometer for years using an app called "Digihud".

Example Below
0XVOYJ4yb26ex3qBC4lLMUMdpTV_QNMxH1BwPfGMQzNhiTec9PbcA1KHKWybf3rOGUM=h900

I had (operative word) a Zumo 550 and had nothing but problems. Battery wouldn't hold a charge even plugged in the b!tch wouldn't work. Also I found out there is an inherent problem with many units digitizer causing screen freezes and unit lockups. Garmin wanted $150 to fix something with inherent problems. Well long story short mine wound up somewhere in Tassie with Hanso's Aldi one.

I really feel stupid. My navigation system consist of a Map (paper). When i get lost and notice did not say (if) I end up pulling in somewhere for a cigarette and a beer if possible and look at the map. 9 times out of ten end up with a good conversation with a better idea of where I am at and how to get to where I want to be. No batteries needed. :whitstling::whitstling::whitstling::whitstling::whitstling:

Just last night I headed out planning to ride the local roads for an hour, but ended up exploring a long back road with no cell service… went about 95 miles over 2.5 hours.

The road ended up coming out exactly where I thought. But on 30 miles of back road there were maybe two dozen ranches, no cell service, and I only passed two cars the whole time. Would've felt a little better having the GPS with me. Plus it was approaching sunset and cooling off quickly. Sometimes you reach a point when exploring time is done and you're ready to get home NOW, though I'm glad that wasn't last night.

But the other thing I had forgotten about is on an unfamiliar curvy road with limited visibility around terrain, having the GPS running without a route and zoomed in fairly close can be a huge help in knowing what's coming ahead, which way the road curves and how sharply. Taken to the extreme it's a bad habit. You can end up riding the map instead of the road. But as a tool to help now and then, it's great.

One advantage I like on Google maps while using the phone. It tells you if there is an accident or traffic backup, and will automatically detour you for the fastest route. That's why I use it in my truck. On the bike I prefer the GPS.

I use a Garmin 665 for log trips when I'm riding against the clock. I use their free software for route planning and then down load it into the GPS. Same unit since 2013. No problems, no errors. That said I also have a Galaxy S7 mounted on the bars as a backup and for detours off my planned route

I use a Garmin 665 for log trips when I'm riding against the clock. I use their free software for route planning and then down load it into the GPS. Same unit since 2013. No problems, no errors. That said I also have a Galaxy S7 mounted on the bars as a backup and for detours off my planned route
What kind of mount do you use for the S7 Morris?

Back