Best Ramp

I have a similar lift made by Mountain Masters. (Motorcycle Loader ) They are local so saved on shipping and could compare before buying. Here is a shot of my R3T loaded before heading out to Michigan via Louisiana. It takes me about 56 minutes by myself to load or unload bike. Make sure the ramp is wide enough for your rear tire. Mountain Master sells a standard, which will fit a R3T rear tire with about an 1/2" to spare, for same cost got the wide one that would fit a Roadster rear tire. My truck has a 5' 6" bed. You might want to look at a good set of airbags for the rear axle to help level it out.

20160904_125840-2.jpg

How does the wench assist in the unload.
(How is it set up to move the bike back out)

The front if the ramp sits on a 4" block, so gravity does all the work, the winch just controls how fast it unloads. It does help to ensure truck is level or facing uphill. But if not just pull bike out until ramp tilts than gravity takes over.

OK, this is the trailering to Fancy Gap story. Never tried the ramp. Mounted the bike in a U-Haul bike, open trailer with two front straps and one rope in the back. Did well until I got to a bridge in Bristol. At 70 mph hit this bridge and when I looked back the bike was not there. :eek:. Sloooed down and eventually stopped. She was lying on her right side side, like she had had too much to drink and just fell over on a couch. One of the hooks fell loose during the jump. Got out on the next exit and asked this young guy for help. He picked up the bike like it was a 250, fetched a strap from his pick up, helped me set the Rocket upright and just asked to acknowledge the spirit of Tennessee hospitality. Was that kool or what. The strap held all the way through Jacksonville to Houston.

The bike suffered no damage except for a bent front of the tank chrome fastening piece and an invisible scratch on the lower lip of the tank.

Sooo, if the bike is going up on the truck bed I needed more and better straps and opinions about how much to compress the suspension.

Last edited:
OK, this is the trailering to Fancy Gap story. Never tried the ramp. Mounted the bike in a U-Haul bike, open trailer with two front straps and one rope in the back. Did well until I got to a bridge in Bristol. At 70 mph hit this bridge and when I looked back the bike was not there. :eek:. Sloooed down and eventually stopped. She was lying on her right side side, like she had had too much to drink and just fell over on a couch. One of the hooks fell loose during the jump. Got out on the next exit and asked this young guy for help. He picked up the bike like it was a 250, fetched a strap from his pick up, helped me set the Rocket upright and just asked to acknowledge the spirit of Tennessee hospitality. Was that kool of what. The strap held all the way through Jacksonville to Houston.

The bike suffered no damage except for a bent front of the tank chrome fastening piece and an invisible scratch on the lower lip of the tank.

Sooo, if the bike is going up on the truck bed I needed more and better straps and opinions about how much to compress the suspension.
have you thought of the lockdown system I believe S&S still sell it originally made for harley but simple to use with the rocket the system locks down the bike by the frame so you need not any strappings of any kind. I remember the video where S&S had a harley bagger hooked to it and rotating the whole setup in the air with the bike attached in 360 degrees and nothing moved I have one,just did not install the hook up on the bike as we have no tubing below the engine but made some small steel plates(2) that replace the parts on the frame the rest is history I can drive over pothole or ridges bike does not flinch move or even fart best set up ever pictures available is you are really interested.( straps are now in the garden shed.)

Back