Best GPS ?

I really feel stupid. My navigation system consist of a Map (paper). When i get lost and notice did not say (if) I end up pulling in somewhere for a cigarette and a beer if possible and look at the map. 9 times out of ten end up with a good conversation with a better idea of where I am at and how to get to where I want to be. No batteries needed. :whitstling::whitstling::whitstling::whitstling::whitstling:

I second that attitude and when I am moving on two wheels I CONCENTRATE ON THE ROAD and the surroundings I do not need all these info and or music just the exhaust the wind and the sights

There are a lot of choices to pick from.. I bought the Garmin 550 a few years ago on sale for $750.00 they were running in the $1000.00 range. One of the reasons i bought it was because it was water proof. It works just as well today as the day i bought it. If you go on eBay you can pick them pretty reasonable at the price you want to pay +- "today". If you go to www.powerlet.com they have all you need to hook up the Zumo 550.

Zumo 550 | eBay

Cigarette Socket Kit 24" (10 Amp) - Powerlet Products

Last edited:
I have I have had a half-dozen GPS systems over the past 12 years. I have also used a couple dirrerent cell phones for navigation.
I mostly travel when I ride. Cell phones frequently lose reception.
I recently upgraded from the Garmin Zumo 660 to the Zumo 590. I find the larger screen and available necessities such as fuel, lodging and food to be indespensible.
YGWYPF is generally a good process.
( you get what you pay for)

Make sure you get one that has FREE map upgrades, FOR LIFE. I have an older Magellean, and recently found it wouldn't pull up directions to a doctors office I was trying to locate. Turns out the office was in a new building complex, and then I found out my older Magellan did not have the option to upload new maps, not even for a fee. Magellan said sorry, and wanted me to buy a newer unit.

Simply install "Scenic" from Motomappers (app store- free) onto your iPhone or tablet and run that on your handlebar mount and power outlet. Its truly fantastic. Accurate, has voice prompts, easy to use, loads GPX files that you can make from google-maps. Maps are loaded on your device so uses almost no data. I have used it for full 8 hour 500 km route and used less than 50 megs of data for the day.
Don't waste your money on a GPS unit.

Especially a Garmin. Worst customer service ever! Bought a Zumo 550 a long time ago. It failed within a year. Garmin answer was we will give you $150 credit towards a new unit. Of course the new unit was full retail. So I would have had to add like $500 for it to be "fixed". Never buy another. Gonna try your method Allan...thanks for sharing it!
:)

Last edited:
Back